cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COE Best Practices: Should I use a service account?

I want to find out what are the best practices for setting up a centre of excellence (COE). Should I use a service account, different from my personal account, for our COE? For importing of all the COE starter kit components and then use of these. As far as I understand this has a few benefits:

1. You can give the service account all needed permissions, so none of the flows, canvas apps, etc will run into any issues.
  2. The COE will not be tied to an individual users account in case they leave the business 

Does anyone have experience with this and what would you say is the best practice, and why?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

@jhall_IUH  

@jhall_IUH wrote:

this is where I start to wonder if I am talking to a liar, an idiot, or someone who is blind. 

Please leave personal insults out of your comments.

@jlindstrom I saw the Dataflex announcement.  I even wrote about it.

As an example for what I have designed our COE around, I had an emergency request for an application to calculate blood sugar ratios for Covid patients hit my desk at 4:30pm last Thursday.  While other Architects were arguing about how/where/why this might get built (before the following Monday), one of them fwd'd me the request, I wrote it, and published it out a fully functional version before 5PM that day.  THAT, is what building out a work stream to focus on rapid deployments gets you.  And while it isn't the solution to all problems, neither is building toward a storing optimized data in a RDB.

The argument of needing a structured data store, management, supportability, etc. are all valid...to a point.  But I use the analogy quite often of:

• why don't we all drive Semi-trucks? 
  • Because we don't need all of that overhead. 
  • How are you going to move your entire home in your Yaris?
  • I don't and I won't.  I'll hire movers.

These arguments around scalability and even "robust RDB" are only relevant when they become so.  The promise of low/no code is that you can potentially divorce your application from the constraints of data management to allow for deployment while optimized data storage is still in progress.  The applications designed during the Covid crisis are not (for the most part) storing data permanently within these containers.  These are transitionary applications designed to quickly adapt to daily changing workflows while ultimately (somewhere down the line) dumping this data into some other legacy repository.  The entire methodology of Model applications only seems to make sense when you have a highly static process within an Enterprise and are prepared to plan a rollout over the next year.

Why would I even worry about discussing data optimization on an application that may or may not ever roll out to users?  Or an application that impacts 10-12 users, or one that impacts the entire enterprise, but used very sporadically?  Why force a conversation about scalability before it is necessary?  That's the entire promise of these toolsets is that we can deploy on limited staff resources, then scale where needed.

Our applications all start w/ simple JSON storage (written by BAs).  As things move forward, we let the Data Analysts drive what components should be pulled out into searchable consumable content.  When we reach a level of maturity with that, we adapt the application (either BAs or Developers) to now write to the data store in a more formalized manner.  And finally, in almost every scenario, we copy that data off to other legacy platforms (by DBAs) for long term storage before removing it from our interim workflow data storage.  We always retain the possibility that we'll write data directly to a RDB, but it is a journey of choices, not a predetermined destination.

This allows deployment IN HOURS.  To walk into a meeting with an application loosely framed up before ever sitting down w/ the business.  To make changes during the meeting and still have a functional application.  It also drastically lowers the technical capability of someone who writes UI applications while giving clear hand-offs to more specialized staff.

THIS is the promise of low/no code near-term.  Focusing on Dataflex Pro/CDS is Microsoft shooting two moves ahead toward some POSSIBLE future state that also slows down deployment TODAY.  I have a solid and reliable deployment model w/ an existing .NET development team (of which I am a part).  I can turn the crank on that and deploy applications w/ full processes integrated into DevOps and planned deployments.  To return to my earlier analogy, I have a fleet of trucks and drivers at my disposal.

I PERSONALLY don't need to solve for highly reliable and scalable solutions immediately, because

• that need is not as large as one might think
  • we already have solutions in place 

I wouldn't dare tell my team to abandon .NET and to start using these tools instead.  What they do works and while it is slow, it is reliable.

But those kind of projects take a great deal of meetings/planning to even justify work starting.  Lots of meetings to talk about whether or not we, as the kings of technology, will allow these business peasants to acquire our expertise.  They must justify their need for our time, because our time is limited.  This creates a barrier through which many projects never pass. Again, to return to my analogy, the business user just needs to drive to work.

So, after a request is denied by these slow formal processes, what happens to the need that caused the original request to be made?  Did it disappear?  Did the business go back and say "aww shucks, you're right, we didn't really plan that out well, we'll think about it for the next year while we continue to suffer through X"?  No, they hired a vendor, they built it themselves in some 3rd party tool, or (far too often) in Excel.  Shadow IT is born.

Changing the delivery model to enable immediate delivery solves for X and gives these kinds of requests a path through which they can easily pass.  When we throw up the barriers of traditional development and tie it to those same concerns, we enable the same bad behavior.

Low/No code is the promise that we can take on Shadow IT head-on.  I would much rather be having a conversation w/ someone who built out an application for 10k simultaneous PowerApps users trying to query a SharePoint list than to be having a conversation with an outside vendor to see if/where their code is, what it was written in, how in the world we'll support that, etc.  By enabling less-bad behavior, we solve for Shadow-IT and can build the processes to actively encourage better behavior (approaching good even) over time.

And the "personal comment" wasn't one, I was stating that I was reflecting on my own internal reaction for when I perceive someone is in denial of facts.  Others can follow along the path toward Microsoft's preferred destination.  Making a choice different from me doesn't make you wrong.  But if you are basing that choice upon denying factual information, then that's where the discussion is less about the content and more about your selective perception of the evidence before you.  Denying that Microsoft has a clear path paved toward the Dataflex Pro/CDS data store and is actively marketing it at all points along the way as a revenue stream is denying reality.

None of us have been arguing that everybody should use CDS for all apps. My suggestion was to have at least one full licensed user and one CDS environment so you can run the COE starter kit. It would be rediculous to suggest that CDS should be used for every app (nobody is) just like it would be rediculous -to say that everything should be written on Excel and Sharepoint. Fit for purpose and use the right tool for the job.

It is all in your perspective--if you think the value of your apps is low, then CDS is expensive. If your apps are more critical, compared to using bigger more expensive applications like Dynamics or Salesforce on an enterprise platform for $10/user is a bargain.

As to your scenario about blood sugar. That is a really good example. Seriously that is an amazing use case. Agree you don't have time to do a big design before building that scenario if you need it quickly.

But that doesn't mean that's the permanent solution for the issue. The building is on fire, we need to put the fire out. But once the fire is out it's important to think about the long term solution and ensure that it will scale. The Band-aid isn't always the best permanent solution

@jlindstrom And that's kind of where we're talking past each other.  I don't begrudge the usage of the CDS where justified.  I don't specifically begrudge the costs of the COE starter kit for a handful of CDS-enabled licenses.  What I started the point around was that Microsoft does all of these things built upon the CDS when it isn't required.  As is the case of the COE Starter Kit.

They're greasing the pole very actively and obviously.  As someone who is very aware of this, it actively slows adoption for our organization, because all of leadership is afraid of if/when the bill will arrive w/o a clearly attributable benefit.  I must constantly convince people to adopt the platform, while also actively trying to stop them from adopting it in the way Microsoft is pitching it.

You are saying that you don't need scalability because you have a staff of .net developers so you are not using the platform for those solutions. That's fine, but not everybody has that. Nobody is taking away the tools you have now or saying that you have to use CDS. Just because you don't want to use the platform for that, doesn't mean other people don't. 

I don't get why you are so offended by CDS, if you don't need it. To flourish this platform needs to be viable for more mission critical apps and low code apps.

but cds is central to the COE> You need a database to store your app entity, etc, as well as the more enterprise grade governance components. Where would you store that stuff?

@jlindstrom Yes, the blood sugar one is but one of many that occurred during this period.  Many others remain.

Primarily, my point was that Microsoft's version of using data models to build out apps fits more w/ supplanting traditional development workstreams vs. accommodating these kinds of small applications and/or emergency applications.  What I've adapted around is to allow a progressive deployment that doesn't force restrictive assumptions at the start.  There is no doubt that other applications required enhancement (e.g. a Nurse skills-gathering and volunteer submittal for accepting deployment in Covid-related care areas which rolled out to 8k nurses in the span of a week) and ultimately a better data store.  But in these scenarios it still allows for immediately deployment while the data side of things matures as the needs escalate.  

Many of the policies/restrictions around traditional development are to protect developers (a scarce resource).  When we lower the bar for who can be "a developer" on these kinds of platforms, those assumptions change.

@jlindstrom Per COE data storage, as I stated, we're a .NET development team.  They (and I) find it fairly annoying that we cannot (for free) plug PowerApps into web services hosted in Azure and/or Azure SQL data stores that they are maintaining for other projects.  This is already a path they are following to write Microsoft checks, why suddenly pay to access something we're already paying for in some other way?  Why the unique licensing model for an organization who already bought into the ecosystem?

I understand Microsoft's reasoning here.  I recognize that they want to pitch this to orgs w/o formalized Dev teams/processes.  By lowering the bar for staffing (and subsequent costs of said staff), they want their cut of the savings.  

If the COE kit included spinning up a data model within an existing Azure SQL instance and no licensing hit beyond usage, then my team would just enable that tomorrow w/o pushback.  It would be an easy sales pitch. 

Even though that would likely wind up more expensive than the per-user licensing for what we'd do at that scale.  It is more that it is an identical model/method to what they use for other data storage solutions across the enterprise.  

But the licensing requirements to use power apps with azure sql are the same as cds. I don’t get your point. Storage capacity? But the storage capacity required for coe starter kit are small and would fit within your base allotment. So what is the point? You can’t use azure sql with office seeded power apps. 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!   This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions in the Forums to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersNumber of SolutionsSuper UsersNumber of Solutions @anandm08  23 @WarrenBelz  31 @DBO_DV  10 @Amik  19 AmínAA 6 @mmbr1606  12 @rzuber  4 @happyume  7 @Giraldoj  3@ANB 6 (tie)   @SpongYe  6 (tie)     Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutions @anandm08  10@WarrenBelz 25 @DBO_DV  6@mmbr1606 14 @AmínAA 4 @Amik  12 @royg  3 @ANB  10 @AllanDeCastro  2 @SunilPashikanti  5 @Michaelfp  2 @FLMike  5 @eduardo_izzo  2   Meekou 2   @rzuber  2   @Velegandla  2     @PowerPlatform-P  2   @Micaiah  2     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps anandm0861WarrenBelz86DBO_DV25Amik66Michaelfp13mmbr160647Giraldoj13FLMike31AmínAA13SpongYe27     Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps DBO-DV21WarranBelz26Giraldoj7mmbr160618Muzammmil_0695067Amik14samfawzi_acml6FLMike12tzuber6ANB8   SunilPashikanti8

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages