cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Has Attachment - email

I built a flow that watches an Outlook mailbox for emails. Any email that has an attachment has the attachment saved in a folder. Any email that doesn't have an attachment has the message body saved in a file in a different folder. The part of the flow that saves the attachments works perfectly. The part of the flow that saves the message body never works. This is what the condition block looks like

sammary_0-1715713193208.png

In other words, the Has Attachment never returns a False. I have tried testing the length of the attachment and using the Boolean function ('True' and 'False) with the same results. Some of the comments in these blogs seem to indicate that Has Attachment maybe "broken" and CoPilot seems to "think" that it isn't really looking at the attachment.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve my issue?

Thanks

Sam

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi @sammary 

Wondering why file (pdf file and eml file) are not created in Attachments folder (i see u are saving in attachments folder ) even flow is working successfully 🤔

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

LinkedIn: Nived N's LinkedIn
YouTube: Nived N's YouTube Channel
Blog: Nived Nambiar's Blogs

🔍 Found my answer helpful? Please consider marking it as the solution!
Your appreciation keeps me motivated. Thank you! 🙌

View solution in original post

I'm happy to say that I have finally finished this flow. Both sides of the condition statement now create files in the specified folder.

Thank you to everyone who supported me during the process of writing my first flow.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35

Hi @sammary 

The reason why it is saying Has Attachments = True always is because the email may contains images which it considered as inline attachments (attached with email body), that is the reason why has attachments appears true, to handle this, see below

Use filter array to filter the attachments details with removing the inline attachments from it 

Nived_Nambiar_0-1715714370567.png

Now use the filter array's output to check whether attachments exists with the mail or not like below

Nived_Nambiar_1-1715714431889.png

If the above condition is true- that means no attachments, so you can export the email

if false, save each file as attachment- remember to use output from filter array as it contains non-inline attachments 

Nived_Nambiar_2-1715714547259.png

Hope it helps !

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

This great but I'm not sure of how the flow works.

In your version the mail comes in gets filtered and then the condition decides if there is an attachment or not. In this scenario what if I have more than 1 email coming into the Outlook inbox? Where does the Apply to Each go such that all emails are processed?

Thank you very much

This is my new flow based on your advice and how I understood the flow to work

sammary_0-1715779114418.png

Where the Filter array looks like this (Boolean is set to False) and the condition is set like this

sammary_1-1715779152295.pngsammary_2-1715779168603.png

After running a test this is what I get

sammary_3-1715779216365.png

I made no changes to the Apply to each box.

Obviously I didn't follow your advice correctly.

Hi @sammary 

could you share details of error- also please follow my flow design, that can help !

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

Hi Nived,

I have been out of the office for a few days and was unable to work on this project. Hopefully, later this week I will get a chance to review your suggested changes. That said, in looking at them quickly I don't see how the changes allow for multiple emails to be processed. Hopefully once I implement your suggestions I will have a better understanding of how the flow works.

I really appreciate your help as this is all new to me and not as obvious as I thought it would be.

Sam

Hi @sammary 

the flow works trigger wise when email arrives in mailbox, so when another email arrives- another instance of flow will starts.

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

Nived,

I finally finished my other project and I'm back to Power Automate.

I'm trying to replicate the flow in the False branch that you are suggesting but I'm having some issues:

- In the Apply to Each function is not showing me Body for the Filter, I'm seeing Attachment. How do I get to see body?

- In the True branch I have selected Export email (V2). I'm using Message Id as Message, do I need to set the advanced parameter? In my flow I used Create File, which worked but I would need to add a way to save the attachment with a new name.

I apologize if my questions are pretty basic but this is really my first attempt at creating a Power Automate flow and I REALLY appreciate your help

Sam

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Sorry, here are the screenshots

Hi @sammary 

Not sure why you are not seeing filter array body dynamic content, I think there is some issue due to modern design, just move to classic design and see whether you are able to see body dynamic content of filter array by toggling the below option like below

Nived_Nambiar_0-1716485911269.png

Also i have forget to add one thing in the flow, using create file after export email scenario. Try to add that as well as shown below

Nived_Nambiar_1-1716485996136.png

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Nived,

You have been amazingly helpful, thank you VERY much.

Some other person helped me to get the emails with attachments and that works perfectly. So, all I need to do is get the emails without attachments to download. For these files I will have to write a Python program to extract a hyperlink that opens a PDF and then saves that PDF.

For some reason I assumed that the false condition meant that there was no attachment. I see that I was incorrect and will apply the flow that I have that I know works for the attachments. As for your flow I'm still having issues. The flow works however the file is empty. Also, the .eml creates an email file so I changed it to a .txt to see if that would make any difference, it didn't. Again, I need to make sure that the hyperlink remains in the file, that's the only part of the file that I really need. There are other parts but with some work I can get that information out of the PDF.

sammary_0-1716493378987.png

Hi @sammary 

Ok now got it- you need pdf version of email when there are no attachments correct ? if yes - follow this approach for actions so to get pdf version of email. Note that export email gives the eml format of email.

I will explain what changes u need to make in actions with respect to when no attachments are present in email. 

See below

once trigger for email arrived is added and email attachments are filtered based on whether attachment is isline 

Nived_Nambiar_0-1716612490534.png

Now using the condition using output of filter array to check whether there are any attachments present in it using below condition

Nived_Nambiar_1-1716612533820.png

This condition check whether the email do not have any attachment. if yes it follows actions in Yes branch

Here we have to use onedrive actions instead of sharepoint so that we can convert the file to pdf format as well in end.

1. export the email in eml format

Nived_Nambiar_2-1716612677795.png

2. create an eml file with export email content 

Nived_Nambiar_3-1716612741805.png

3. convert the file to pdf format which is created

Nived_Nambiar_4-1716612781781.png

4. use create file to create pdf file based of converted file like below

Nived_Nambiar_5-1716612868059.png

Nived_Nambiar_6-1716612891909.png

Hope this helps !

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Nived,

Hope you had a great and safe weekend.

Sorry if I'm being confusing. The email without attachments contains a hyperlink. I need to be able to click on that hyperlink which will bring up a PDF file that I need to save and rename with information that I get from the PDF. All this means is that I don't care what format the downloaded email is in as long as I can access and execute the hyperlink. Does that help?

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Nived,

I apologize for being a burden, I'm sure you are tired of hearing from me, please don't give up.

Attached is my complete flow where nothing works. When I run a test it says everything is working fine but I am not getting any downloaded files or message bodies. I have attached my complete flow. Hopefully you will have some time to review what I've done and help me.

Again, thank you for all your support and ideas

Hi @sammary 

It seems to be correct only, so when you convert it to pdf (i meant the email) are you not able to see the hyperlink ?

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Nived,

The flow indicates success but no files are downloaded.

Hi @sammary 

Wondering why file (pdf file and eml file) are not created in Attachments folder (i see u are saving in attachments folder ) even flow is working successfully 🤔

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thanks Nived

Hi @sammary 

could you confirm whether issue is resolved ?

Thanks & Regards,

Nived N 🚀

sammary
Resolver I
Resolver I

Nived,

This flow is making me crazy. Crazy enough to look at the flow output from each step. Two emails were sent to the box I am watch and I can see the data in the raw output from the section that watches for emails. Neither email had an attachment.

The next portion of the flow is the filter, the raw output was interesting in that it was minimal but I think this is what I would expect since there were no attachment. This is what the flow looks like

sammary_0-1717094055236.png

And this is what the output looks like

sammary_1-1717094137617.png

The decision resulted in a True condition which was expected, no attachments.

The first flow point in Yes is the Export email (v2) and I can see the body of the mail, all 35 pages, what I would expect to see if looking at the header and PDF code

sammary_2-1717094807937.png

The next point in the flow is the Create File and again it looks like I would have expected it

sammary_3-1717094950397.png

The next flow point is to create a PDF file from the output, I'm not sure this is successful, but honestly I have no idea what I'm looking at:

sammary_4-1717095229448.png

Notice the file content looks like a string of random numbers and letters. 

And the final point in the flow looks like this

sammary_5-1717095368785.png

I was looking for something that might have indicated that there was a failure but nothing sticks out. Hopefully you might see something.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (1,288)