Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olijk
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Automate Multi Level Approver Using Get Items List

Hello,

Recently, I made a post about multi level approvals and get list @abm assisted with this request and created the following video:  https://youtu.be/CplQ16x2h8U

My initial post stated, I am in process of trying to build a multi level approval using a get items list similar to the below. I am not too familiar with using this function…

For example, amount Dollar

Amt| Approvers

0-10k| one approver

10001-50000| multiple approvers

50001-100000| multiple approvers and so forth. It would be 8 levels of approvers based on amt.

Below was my initial flow:

-when and item is created

-update item to pending manager approval

-start and wait approval 

-Condition- if outcome is approved

-update item to approve /terminate flow if not approved

-condition, if item is over 10000—

-update item to pending additional approvals

-start and wait approval

-Condition- if outcome is approved

-update item to approve

-condition if item is over 50k…

-update item to pending additional approvers

-start and wait approval 

-condition if approved

-update item to approve…

This would continue up to 8 levels depending upon the amount. 

This Youtube video was spot on when using a list with based on dollar thresholds and one approver.  However, upon doing more research and communicating with @abm my initial ask using get items was incorrect.  This would be a sequential flow, so once the manager approves, and dependent upon the amount, it would go to Level 2 approvers then Level 3 approvers and so forth.  For example, if my amount was over 55k, then, my manager would have to approve first, then the second level manager would have to approve and then the 3rd level would have to approve and so forth. I was looking for the below:

-When an item is created

-Start and waits for Manager approval

-Condition if approved (if rejected update item to rejected and terminate the flow)

-Update item to approved

-Get Items (for anything over 10000k)

-Start and Wait Approval for approvers (from the Get list) over 10000k

-Condition if approved

-Update item to approved

Thank you in advance Power Automate Community!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
abm
Most Valuable Professional

Hi @Olijk 

Made a video regarding this. Watch the video and comment.

https://youtu.be/cpNS2P7QVRo

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Deano12
Helper III
Helper III

For me there's 2 ways I would consider when doing this. Multi level approval can be done based on conditions for each step of the process, keep in mind that only 8 conditions can be used per flow process.

Scope:

Approve level 1 > Direct Line Manager
Approved
Condition | Is Column2 value >= ## 

Yes

Approve level 2 > Threshold 1 Approvers

Approved

Yes

Condition | Is Column2 value >= ###

Yes

Approve level 3 > Threshold 2 Approvers 

Follow under all conditions with the final action of what ever takes place once all approval levels have been completed.

-------------------

Second Option

Flow 1 - handles the Line Manager approval

Flow 2 - Triggers when item is modified and contains trigger conditions for 'lvl 1 approve' eq true AND Column2 >= ##

Flow 3 - Uses the same set of conditions as flow 2 but with different threshold. Instead of lvl 1 approve, make it 'lvl 2 approve eq true AND Column 2 >= ###

Continue to build flows for each level of approval.

Its up to you which way you go, it's nice to have everything in 1 flow, but you will end up being restricted to 8 total conditions and if something breaks, you'll need to backwards engineer a large flow. Where as with each individual flow, you are unrestricted in terms of conditions as well as it's easier to see which one failed.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Is that means the first 10K always approved by the managers? (First Level). That means second level amount is 10001-50000| multiple approvers and so on.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm ,

Yes that is correct. The first 10k will always be approved my the manager (first level).

This statement is also correct…That means second level amount is 10001-50000| multiple approvers and so on.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Thanks. Will get back to you.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
abm

Hi @Olijk 

Made a video regarding this. Watch the video and comment.

https://youtu.be/cpNS2P7QVRo

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm,

Thank you sooo much for the video!  It was super helpful. This worked for one of my flows and partially my second flow.  However, I have a new wrinkle.  In my second form, the user would select their manager, which was apart of the flow you built on Youtube.

The wrinkle is if 2 people select their manager which has approvals up to 50K, then that manager would get 2 emails based on the approval config, correct.  However, if the other users select their manager, then the flow works as it was designed to do. Should I create another config table or add on to the condition outside of the loop? For example if outcome is equal to approve and the approver email is address is not equal to @yahoo.com, then follow the Youtube flow. Condition 2 if outcome is equal to approve and is equal to @gmail.com (which would be the 2 users that select their managers name with approvals up to 50K), then dont send an 2 emails...go to o the next step.  Maybe do another start and wait approval and then...This is where I am getting stuck. 

The second wrinkle is that the user would like to select the third level of approvals on the submission form.  I was thinking about adding a specific field to the form and then in the start and wait approvals bringing in that field so the approvers would know who needs to approve. Thoughts???

abm

Hi @Olijk 

I have made the video based on that requirement. Not sure you explain this or not. Not sure what you meant by 2 people select their managers? That configuration is flexible enough to send approvals based on any range of amount and multiple approvers. 

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm ,

Thank you for the reply.  I will try to explain further

Fill out the SP form

Select their managers name 

The flow:

-Get manager Approval first (this is now the new wrinkle). 2 managers in this list has approvals up 50K. This would mean that the manager would get 2 emails based on the approval config, 1 as the first level approver then the other one as the 2nd level approver. Should I add a condition after start and wait approval or create a 2nd config?

-Then use get items to filter out the Approval Config list based on dollar amount.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

The first level is the manager which is upto 10K. Once that is approved then second level approval (10K - 50k) which is going to be by two managers. So it will send approval for second level first manager and wait for his approval. Once he approved then it will send second approval for the second manager. I am not sure why you need another config? This is what you explained me and I have re-worked on the video earlier. Looks like you keep changing the requirements. 

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm 

Thank you for the email and yes I understand what the flow is doing. Yes, the requirements keep changing based on the users. The current set up works because I have tested multiple times. I believe I may just need to change the submission form requirements based on the users preference and remove the 2nd level from the approval config and hard code the start and wait approvals for the first 2 levels and then continue with the flow from the video.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Thats looks like an option. Based on the original requirement I believe the solution I provided is correct. I would appreciate if you could mark accept as solution.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm ,

i just accepted the video as a solution. I thought I did that a few days ago☺️

Hello @abm   ,

I had to adjust my power apps to include another field that has a dollar amount. So when the user selects one form type amount field A appears, when the user selects another form type amount field B appears.

When I go to get items, I followed the video… Formx0020 le Amount.

With my form now having 2 dollars fields, my Odata query was Formx0020 le AmountA or Formx0020 le AmountB. I tried with and without brackets.

When I got to the 3rd Compose, using the split expression, it gives me an error message, as seen on the attached. 

Should I use another Expression?

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Ideally this should be another new thread. Could you please create and let me know.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages