Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulD1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Project Online connector: get resource names for a task

Hi

I'm using the Project Online connector and the Lists tasks step. I want to pull the same data as is displayed in the Task view of Project Online (e.g. Task Name, Duration, Start, Finish, Duration, % Complete and Resource Names).

Under Dynamic content I can find all these except for Duration and Resource Names.

By pasting the JSON returned by the List tasks step into a JSON viewer (http://jsonviewer.stack.hu/) I can see that Duration is returned and I can grab it simply by referencing

item()['Duration']

Question 1: Why don't all available/applicable options (such as Duration) show in Dynamic content? Is this a bug?

Even when I look at the returned JSON, I cannot find Resource Names. This is appears to be a complex field allowing multiple entries and referencing a resources table in Project Online. Searching in the JSON for names of resources I know are assigned to the tasks yields nothing and there is no property with 'resource' in the name.

Question 2: How do I get the Rource Names assigned to a Project?

Question 3: Where/how can I get information on what data I can pull from Project Online (and other connections)? Dynamic content is not reliable and even viewing/searching the underlying JSON doesn't always help, as with the example of Resource Names. Is there a central repository documenting the various connectors that is hidden beyond my googling/binging abilities?

Thanks!

Paul

16 REPLIES 16
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulD1,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Could you please explain more details about the JSON viewer?

Please share more details so we would try to provide a proper workaround for you.

Best regards,

Alice

image.png

Here you can see that 'Duration' is not listed in the Dynamic content list, however, it can be added by manually entering the expression item()['Duration'] after which it even appears with the proper Project logo.

Why does this not appear in Dynamic content?

I'm finding missing entries in Dynamic content a lot. I have to run a test in Flow, copy the JSON Output (generally by adding a compose step where the input is the output from a step such as List Tasks) then paste that into one of the JSON viewers available online to check what is really available, or copy to a text editor and do a search for field names or data that I think should be included.

Hope this makes clearer the issue I'm trying to highlight.

Thanks

Paul

Hi @PaulD1,

As you said, the 'Duration' is not listed in the Dynamic content list ,and it can be added by manually entering the expression item()['Duration'] after which it even appears with the proper Project logo.

The 'Duration' is not listed in the Dynamic content list because the 'Duration' value is come from the array "Returned project" in the From field of "Select" action, the 'Duration' value is been saved in an item in the "Returned project",however, the "Select" action couldn't analysis the columns in the array "Returned project" just when the "Returned project" dynamic content is insert in the from field.

And if the manually enter the expression item()['Duration'] in the action, when the flow runs, the flow would analysis the columns in the "Returned project",and the expression item()['Duration'] in the action would be recognized as a column in the array "Returned project".

Best regards,

Alice

Thanks Alice

I guess what I am trying to understand is, why is the Dynamic Content so unreliable? Other fields from the Returned Project array appear - what is the difference between Duration and those other fields that are populated in Dynamic Content? Is this acknowledged as a bug and is it being worked on?

I'm really impressed by the capabilities of Flow and the integration between services that it allows, but we can't be experts on every service available and so should be able to rely on the interface to correctly expose the available data/capabilities. As a relative newbie to flow I find it very inconvenient to have to 'play detective' to investigate all the fields returned rather than just those that show up in Dynamic Content.

Thanks

Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Were you able to retrieve the Resource Name value? I am not able to retrieve it as well.

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous 

No - I haven't found a way to get the resource name yet, concentrating on other requirements and hoping Resource Names won't be required or will be available when/if we need them!

Also looking for a solution - really disappointing that there is no support on this...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also looking for to retrieve the Resource ID but no way. Looked around the google for hours but no help at all. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone figure this out yet? Still stuck in August 2020...

FastTrack
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi,

got stuck there some months ago and gave up.

I know that Enterprise resources are linked to a task via  a resource ID and that a resource field of a task contains an array of these IDs.

The Resource table should be available via SharePoint http request pointing to the proper XML string, something like this I guessed

https://xyz.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectServer/EnterpriseResources('0edc75d1-f670-e911-afd7-983b8f0779fb')/Assignments 

Best you try the API in Internet Explorer or another XML viewer :

https://xyz.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectServer/..

To understand the table structure have a look here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/project/project-odata-api/m-p/218694

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/project-odata/jj163529(v%3doffice.15)

For me it got way too complicated, so If you find a solution I bow for you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@FastTrack 

Thanks to your response I have been playing around in Power Automate and I finally figured out a way to Extract the "Resource Name" from Task level. I will post the details later tonight or tomorrow morning! Thanks again for your response and leading me to the right path.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to follow the article referred here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57491778/how-to-get-resource-name-for-a-task-using-microsoft-flo...

When i try and setup this Flow i get all the way to the section where it says:

Now set AssignmentId to...

@{outputs('Compose_2')?[0]?['Id']}

But i can't figure out how to get past this bit.

Creating Flow for Project Online.jpg

This article is not very easy for me to follow as I'm only a beginner with using Power Automate.

What I'm trying to achieve is a way I can automate the creation of Google Calendar Events for the Resources who are assigned against a Microsoft Project Online Task.  I've been doing a lot of searching, but can't seem to find many good articles, I've tried piecing some together but have now got stuck.

Is anyone able to help me with this?

FastTrack
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

• Initialize a variable at top called "AssignmentId" and also one for "AssignedTo" that is used in last step
  • Set variable "AssignmentId" after the compose step to the expression "
    @{outputs('Compose_2')?[0]?['Id']}"
  • Add the condition step
Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to add this Variable: SetAssignmentId

SimeonHemus_0-1678206598468.png

but when i click on the Name section it doesn't let me type it in.

I must be doing something wrong when adding it.

This is what i did:

I added an action, then typed in variable, then clicked "Set Variable"

SimeonHemus_1-1678206746111.png

But when I do this I can't change the name, or set it to anything, it's like it has a blank drop down box.

Is it possible to give me some more slightly detailed instructions?

Thank you so much.

Kind Regards

Simeon Hemus

FastTrack
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

on the top of the flow (not inside the "apply to each") you have to ad the block "Initialize variable" twice, one for  "AssignmentId" and also one for "AssignedTo", then you con can select the names in the "set variable" blocks at the bottom.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages