cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update multiple rows on sharepoint from different form responses

I have a flow that get's triggered from a SharePoint list item and send a survey that once it is completed needs to take the form response and update the list item that triggered it. I am finding that when multiple list items get created I get this error 

"Unable to process template language expressions for action 'Condition' at line '0' and column '0': 'The template language function 'first' expects its parameter be an array or a string. The provided value is of type 'Null'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions#first for usage details.'."

when the form is submitted and the flow attempts to validate that the form ID belongs with the list item. 

In my conditions I have first(body('Select_2'))?['responseId'] for the form ID and first(body('Select'))?['ID'] for the list item ID.

flow issue pg1.jpgflow issue pg2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you @creativeopinion for all your help, I did manage to use some of the things I learned from you into my working flow. 

I ended up creating 2 SharePoint Lists 1 to enter and track survey actions and 1 to receive the survey results. 

yvettePrice_0-1692031914670.png

yvettePrice_1-1692031965178.png

I then created 2 work flows, a simple when item created send survey link

yvettePrice_2-1692032065263.png

The other to capture the survey results and update/create items on SharePoint.

yvettePrice_3-1692032176810.png

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Are you able to expand these two actions in your flow and upload a screenshot of it? I'm trying to wrap my head around how your flow works.

creativeopinion_0-1691868921436.png

Thanks!

The trigger is when a email and name are added to a SharePoint list item, it needs to send an email to the person to go to a form and complete the survey. Once the survey is complete it needs to get the list item and form details and update the line with the survey results. 

yvettePrice_0-1691873693624.png

Can you confirm which part of the flow is giving you an error? Is it the at the point where the flow is triggered?

You said that you find that when multiple items are created is when you experience the error. 

Can you also explain the purpose of the Select action? Are you retrieving the ID from the trigger action? or from the Send HTTP request to SP action?

The Condition is what is erroring out. I added 2 list (both ended up failing) items to the SharePoint site and everything worked until the condition. The Select action is to get the ID's created the Trigger ID of the SP line item and the Form Response ID.

yvettePrice_0-1691937758649.png

If you are trying to return the ID from the When an item is created trigger, the Select action isn't necessary. Use a Compose action instead.

creativeopinion_0-1691940182513.png

I also need a bit more clarity on what's going on in your two apply to each actions. In both these actions, you are filtering through the same dynamic content (List of Responses). Not sure why you need to do this twice. 

Can you upload a screenshot of your form and explain how the responses tie into your Sharepoint list?

I changed the flow with this: Doing compose instead of select calling the ID in the GetVersions from the compose output and adding that to the Get Item in the apply to each 2. I added 4 list items and completed the survey for 3 and they all came back right, but the 4th never sent an email and the flow has stopped triggering on it's own. At this point I have to use the test to trigger the flow. 

yvettePrice_0-1691944547440.pngyvettePrice_1-1691944555964.png

My Survey for the test is simple here are the screenshots:

yvettePrice_2-1691944608752.pngyvettePrice_3-1691944618115.png

I'm also getting this error when I triggered the flow with a manual test. 

The list item could not be added or updated because duplicate values were found in the following field(s) in the list: [Email].
clientRequestId: 0e03d8e4-be20-4faa-98cb-553dedff55ee
serviceRequestId: 0e03d8e4-be20-4faa-98cb-553dedff55ee

yvettePrice_4-1691944760848.png

Can you explain the Send HTTP to SP Request (Get Versions action)? What's the reason for this action? Where are you using the outputs from this action?

Are you including the SP ID in the email that is being sent to the user? I am assuming you aren't. 

For this reason, I think you can use the email address to look up the correct item to update. 

After gaining a better understanding of your workflow, you need to split your flow up into two flows. 

1. When a New Item is Added to SP List
    Use this flow to trigger the email. 
  2. When a New Response is Submitted
    Use this flow to trigger the update of your SP Items.

To get the correct line item, before this was added I was getting the last result overwrite everything on the list with that value. (ex. line 1 had value A, then line 2 was added and updated line 1 & 2 with value B).

There isn't a way to get the value from the Get actions in the update item section. Here the SP ID and Name are from the Trigger action.

yvettePrice_0-1691950530567.png

As I suggested in my prev post. I would strongly recommend that you split the flows up into two. 

One to handle when a new item is added to the list, which triggers the email to complete the form. The other flow would handle all the submissions. I'm assuming that you just want to match the responses the user has submitted with the item in the SP list. 

Are the items being manually added to your SP List or is there an automated process? Only reason I'm asking is that the Filter Query requires the email string to match. This means that the email addresses in your SP list should be in lower case. 

The second flow would look something like this:

creativeopinion_0-1691951858469.png

This flow will take the email address that is filled in and convert it to lower case. Then the Get items action will pull an item from your SP list that matches the email address returned from the form. Keep in mind, this will only work if 1) your SP list is enforcing unique values on the email column and 2) that the email address field value doesn't contain a typo.

Are you using the Title field to store your email address? or is it a custom column. I'm only asking because you will need the internal column name for the Filter Query. You can locate this at the end of the URL of the column.

I tried this and the update item would just overwrite the old value with the new value of any incoming survey. So it never tied it back to the original line item. 

yvettePrice_0-1692031726435.png

I also got this error

An action failed. No dependent actions succeeded.

You didn't answer me on how you are tying the form responses to a SP item. I was only assuming you are matching it by the email address. 

What are you using in the Get Items action to look up the matching SP item?

Can you confirm if the Get Items action in your previous flow run located the matching SP item?

Thank you @creativeopinion for all your help, I did manage to use some of the things I learned from you into my working flow. 

I ended up creating 2 SharePoint Lists 1 to enter and track survey actions and 1 to receive the survey results. 

yvettePrice_0-1692031914670.png

yvettePrice_1-1692031965178.png

I then created 2 work flows, a simple when item created send survey link

yvettePrice_2-1692032065263.png

The other to capture the survey results and update/create items on SharePoint.

yvettePrice_3-1692032176810.png

I was using the email addresses, because the form was public so I needed a unique field to match back to the triggering item.

If the email addresses are unique you should be able to locate the item in SP using that. Like I said, this is only if the user doesn't include any typos in their email address when entering it into the field. 

Did you confirm if the Get Item action would locate the correct SP Item? This part of your flow is redundant. You are already filtering out the SP List items in the Get Items action.

Instead of looping through the results (since there should only be ONE item returned). You should actually add a Condition action to check if any items have returned. 

creativeopinion_0-1692032490043.png

I created the condition to make sure that the email in the SharePoint list matches the email from the form so that I can validate the survey sent is matched back to the "responded date" in the survey results. The negative condition doesn't come back, so I will try to change it as you suggested above. 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (1,246)