cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping a user on screen

Hi all,

I have an application where a user can upload an excel file to our database. The application first parses the Excel data to a gallery for the users to review and then delete or upload the data. The users are requesting that they not be allowed to leave the screen without committing or deleting the data, so I have added the following logic:

Screen.OnHidden If(
    CountRows(galKEDPricingJSON.AllItems) > 0,
    UpdateContext({showPopup: true}) && Back(ScreenTransition.None)
)

This works in my personal Dev environment and works well. I created a Modal Popup form that covers the screen and give the user the choice to cancel and stay on screen or delete the records without committing them. My problem is when I publish to UAT I get different behavior.  The user is presented with the popup, but they can navigate away from the screen so the Back() is not working.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @tjestesjr,

I unfortunately am unable to recreate this behaviour. On my end I am not able to navigate when the gallery contains records and will display a pop-up.

The current logic checks whether galKEDPricingJSON contains records. If this is the case, navigation will not be allowed and a variable will be set to true instead - resulting in the pop-up showing. Is this the functionality that you would like to implement?

I did make a small mistake in my OnSelect code: Set(gblShowPopup: true) should be Set(gblShowPopup, true). (comma instead of colon) I have adjusted my previous comment accordingly.

The gallery OnSelect should contain the If() statement code, controls within the gallery should only contain Select(Parent) within their OnSelect property. It may be beneficial to check whether the controls within the gallery don't accidentally have the old nav code. Is there any other code that could interfere with our conditional logic?

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @tjestesjr😊

Preferably you would have an If statement on the OnSelect code used to navigate to the next screen:

//OnSelect of the next page button or icon...
If(
    CountRows(galKEDPricingJSON.AllItems) > 0,
    UpdateContext({showPopup: true}),
    Navigate(ScreenName)
)

(You could also use conditional logic within the DisplayMode of that control)

As a side note: chaining functions is done by using the semicolon not '&&'.

Function1();
Function2()

The back() function indeed seems to run in the editor (causing 2 rapid screen swaps) but not in the live app version. That said, even if it were to have worked I would have highly advised against it. It is best to stop the user from navigating via an If statement instead of trying to navigate the user back to the previous screen after navigating.

If this solves your question, would you be so kind as to accept it as a solution.
Thanks!

@LaurensM 

I didn't realize that I had used the logical AND operator '&&' there instead of the ';' . Always useful to have a second set of eyes and a fresh perspective on the situation. I am fixing the function chaining now and will publish to UAT and report back here. 

@tjestesjr,

Please note that changing to the correct chaining operator does not seem to change the behaviour in the live app version. It is best to change your OnHidden approach to the shown OnSelect code.

I hope this helps!

@LaurensM 

So, you are right changing my linking operator did not fix the functionality in UAT. My issue now is trying to disable the navigation component when the Popup Criteria is met. I have my user navigation in a component and I am not sure how to enable/disable the menu. I have a collection on my App.OnStart that drives the menu component through the collection below.

ClearCollect(
    colVerticalMenu,
    {
        Title: "Facility Management",
        Screen: KED_FacilityManagement,
        Id: 1
    }, 
    {
        Title: "Brand Item",
        Screen: KED_BrandItemSearch,
        Id: 2
    },   
    {
        Title: "Brand Item Mapping",
        Screen: KED_BrandItemMapping,
        Id: 3
    },
    {
        Title: "Member Mapping",
        Screen: KED_MemberShipTo,
        Id: 4
    },
    {
        Title: "Restaurant Mapping",
        Screen: KED_ResaurantMapping,
        Id: 5
    },
    {
        Title: "Pricing Import",
        Screen: KED_PricingImport,
        Id: 6
    }
);

Screenshot KED PriceImportScreen.png

@tjestesjr 

Thanks for the info! 😊

If I understand it correctly your navigation is built as a Power Apps component. Most likely this will be a Gallery within that component? Below I have documented a possible approach.

By enabling 'Access App Scope' you will be able to update global variables from within a Component:

LaurensM_0-1708552090665.png

In addition add an input custom property of type boolean - make sure to set the default value to false.

LaurensM_3-1708552521336.png

LaurensM_4-1708552529129.png

Your OnSelect of the Gallery should look quite similar to the following code - make sure to add the Set() function:

If(
    ComponentName.DisableNav,
    Set(gblShowPopup, true),
    Navigate(ThisItem.Screen)
)

On your Power Apps screen shown in the screenshot, select the component and add the code below to the custom input property called DisableNav:

galKEDPricingJSON.AllItemsCount > 0

Use gblShowPopup as the Visible property for your pop-up. Make sure that the pop-up background (1) also covers the navigation control and (2) is higher in the tree view hierarchy. This will 'disable' the navigation menu by covering the navigation menu - only allowing the user to select either the cancel or delete button.

I hope this helps!

@LaurensM 

Thank you for the excellent write-up! I have implemented the suggestions, but I am still having issues with user being able to leave the KED_PricingImport screen. I am not able to keep them on the screen (see gif below). But if they have uploaded data and navigate back to the screen then it works as intended.

Video Project 2.gif

Hi @tjestesjr,

I unfortunately am unable to recreate this behaviour. On my end I am not able to navigate when the gallery contains records and will display a pop-up.

The current logic checks whether galKEDPricingJSON contains records. If this is the case, navigation will not be allowed and a variable will be set to true instead - resulting in the pop-up showing. Is this the functionality that you would like to implement?

I did make a small mistake in my OnSelect code: Set(gblShowPopup: true) should be Set(gblShowPopup, true). (comma instead of colon) I have adjusted my previous comment accordingly.

The gallery OnSelect should contain the If() statement code, controls within the gallery should only contain Select(Parent) within their OnSelect property. It may be beneficial to check whether the controls within the gallery don't accidentally have the old nav code. Is there any other code that could interfere with our conditional logic?

I hope this helps!

@LaurensM 

"I did make a small mistake in my OnSelect code: Set(gblShowPopup: true) should be Set(gblShowPopup, true). (comma instead of colon) I have adjusted my previous comment accordingly." I did see that but didn't call it out. 🙂

This is what finally worked was changing the OnSelect to  Select(Parent)  for the  controls within the MenuComponent gallery.

Thanks very much for your help and patience and persistent, I really appreciate it.

Perfect! Glad I was able to help @tjestesjr😊

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!   This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions in the Forums to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersNumber of SolutionsSuper UsersNumber of Solutions @anandm08  23 @WarrenBelz  31 @DBO_DV  10 @Amik  19 AmínAA 6 @mmbr1606  12 @rzuber  4 @happyume  7 @Giraldoj  3@ANB 6 (tie)   @SpongYe  6 (tie)     Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutions @anandm08  10@WarrenBelz 25 @DBO_DV  6@mmbr1606 14 @AmínAA 4 @Amik  12 @royg  3 @ANB  10 @AllanDeCastro  2 @SunilPashikanti  5 @Michaelfp  2 @FLMike  5 @eduardo_izzo  2   Meekou 2   @rzuber  2   @Velegandla  2     @PowerPlatform-P  2   @Micaiah  2     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps anandm0861WarrenBelz86DBO_DV25Amik66Michaelfp13mmbr160647Giraldoj13FLMike31AmínAA13SpongYe27     Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps DBO-DV21WarranBelz26Giraldoj7mmbr160618Muzammmil_0695067Amik14samfawzi_acml6FLMike12tzuber6ANB8   SunilPashikanti8

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (613)