cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wangl2
Frequent Visitor

Turn Text Label to Drop Down Menu

Dear All,

In my PowerApps, I use an Excel Spreadsheet as the data source. One of the column I would like the user to do in the App is to choose "Yes" or "No" in the Text Label when editing.

Do I need a separate list with "Yes" and "No" like how you make a drop-down in the Excel?

Is there quicker and easier way to do it within PowerApps Studio?

Thank you all.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wangl2 ,

Do you want to configure one Text field in your Edit form as a Dropdown option list?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think you could consider change the Control type of the corresponding Text field in your Edit form to "Allowed values" option as below:

Test.gif

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @wangl2 ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think this issue is related to that --  you have unlocked the field data card in your Edit form.

As an fixed solution, please consider remove the target field from your Edit form, and then re-add it again within your EDIT form, then try above solution I provided, check if the issue is solved.

Note: Please make sure the target field is not unlocked within your Edit form.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @wangl2 

You can save the column as a text field in the excel and create a dropdown control for the user to select Yes or No values.

Dropdown Control: Items -> ["Yes","No"]

If you are using edit forms to save the details back to excel, then you can update the configuration as:
1) Select the datacard from the left menu and unlock the properties in the Advanced tab on the right menu.
2) Delete the text input for the field and add the dropdown inside the datacard.
3) Add the items property of the dropdown to: ["Yes","No"]
4) Set the "Update" property of the datacard as: Dropdown1.Selected.Value

Note: If you see any other coordinate based error due to the deleted text input control, then you can replace the text input control name with the dropdown control name in those expressions.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

@wangl2 

Agreed with @yashag2255.  The code ["Yes","No"] is an excellent method to manually define the options in a dropdown when they cannot be automatically populated from some datasource.

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wangl2 ,

Do you want to configure one Text field in your Edit form as a Dropdown option list?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think you could consider change the Control type of the corresponding Text field in your Edit form to "Allowed values" option as below:

Test.gif

Best regards,

Thanks @v-xida-msft for the reply.

I tried to follow up but got stuck. When I select the data card and select the Edit Field, I do no see the "Control Type" and other options like you showed in the Gif. All I can see is the purple writing saying "Learn more about the Custom Cards".

This is after I unlock the property.
What did I miss?

Thanks @yashag2255 for your reply.

I got confused on the step 2 when you said.:

2) Delete the text input for the field and add the dropdown inside the datacard.

Do you mean I actually delete the text box and insert a drop down control to the same area?

Thanks.

Hi @wangl2 ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think this issue is related to that --  you have unlocked the field data card in your Edit form.

As an fixed solution, please consider remove the target field from your Edit form, and then re-add it again within your EDIT form, then try above solution I provided, check if the issue is solved.

Note: Please make sure the target field is not unlocked within your Edit form.

Best regards,

Hey @wangl2 

Yes, that is what I mean. Since you want to remove the Text input and add a dropdown in place of it, you need to remove the existing text box and add a dropdown in its place.

I have added a gif to walk you through the process.

332.gif

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

I have removed the data card and insert it again using "Edit Field". 

When I insert the data card, I can see the option for control type and selected "Allowed Values"

Nice and easy!

Thank you @v-xida-msft !

Hi @v-xida-msft ,

I don't know whether this is a PowerApps bug but this is happening after I configured the Allowed Value ["Yes","No"] for the data card.

So let's say on one record, this data card value shows as blank on the details form, because we never edit it and provide any value. When you go to edit it, in the edit form, this field will automatically becomes "Yes" before I even do anything. If you quit without saving it, the details form will show this record blank again on this data card. If you save it, the details form will show this record as the value you saved as, whether it is a "Yes" or "No". I understand this but just feels weird that when you go to edit and the "Yes" already appear there. You quit the edit form and the value will show blank again. But this is not the bug I am talking about.

When you edit a record for this Data Card, for example, the Allowed Value is set to ["Yes","No"]. So when you first edit it, it always will default to a "Yes". Then I change the value from the Dropdown to a "No". I then save the record. 

Back to the details form, I pick another record and edit it again. The "Allowed Values" data card for this second record will show as a "No". It kind of remembers what I did to the first record. And if I now quit the edit without changing anything, you can see the value in the data card quickly flash back to the default, which in this case is a "Yes". 

Now if I edit this second record again, the data card will now show a "Yes", as expected. However if I edit the first record, without changing anything, just quit the edit straight away. Because the first record has set to a "No", I open another any record, it will show as a "No". It just repeats.

Do you experience that or did I do anything wrong?

Thank you! 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!   This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions in the Forums to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersNumber of SolutionsSuper UsersNumber of Solutions @anandm08  23 @WarrenBelz  31 @DBO_DV  10 @Amik  19 AmínAA 6 @mmbr1606  12 @rzuber  4 @happyume  7 @Giraldoj  3@ANB 6 (tie)   @SpongYe  6 (tie)     Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutions @anandm08  10@WarrenBelz 25 @DBO_DV  6@mmbr1606 14 @AmínAA 4 @Amik  12 @royg  3 @ANB  10 @AllanDeCastro  2 @SunilPashikanti  5 @Michaelfp  2 @FLMike  5 @eduardo_izzo  2   Meekou 2   @rzuber  2   @Velegandla  2     @PowerPlatform-P  2   @Micaiah  2     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps anandm0861WarrenBelz86DBO_DV25Amik66Michaelfp13mmbr160647Giraldoj13FLMike31AmínAA13SpongYe27     Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps DBO-DV21WarranBelz26Giraldoj7mmbr160618Muzammmil_0695067Amik14samfawzi_acml6FLMike12tzuber6ANB8   SunilPashikanti8

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (989)