Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HansHeintz
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

What license do users need to use a simple app that uses a custom made entity

Hi,

I work in an animal shelter and I made a simple (canvas) app that uses one custom made table (entity) to contains events for an animal (one record is an event which can for example be a piece of text at a certain time) so the history of the animal can be opened on the smartphone. I have a powerplan 2 license myself. What  do the animal caretakers need to look at the data in the app? Not 40+$ a month per caretaker I hope.

My animal shelter uses office 365 and dynamics 365.

The app also finds related data of the animal in an microsoft sql server located on an online server to show things like name, chipnumber, breed etc

Greetings,

Hans Heintz

Veterinarian DOA Amsterdam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
iAm_ManCat
Most Valuable Professional

Hello!

You can check licensing options here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#powerapps-for-office-365

You said you had one table for for the data - where is this data hosted? If (in-app)/sharepoint/excel/onedrive then you're in the best position as any of these office licenses will be enough for your users to run PowerApps

Office 365 Business Essentials
Office 365 Business Premium
Office 365 A1 for Faculty
Office 365 A1 for Students
Office 365 A1 Plus for Faculty
Office 365 A1 Plus for Students
Office 365 A3 for Faculty
Office 365 A3 for Students
Office 365 A3 for Student Use Benefit
Office 365 A5 for Student Use Benefit
Office 365 A5
Office 365 A5 for Faculty
Office 365 A5 for Students
Office 365 Education E3 for Faculty
Office 365 Education E3 for Students
Office 365 Education for Homeschool for Faculty
Office 365 Education for Homeschool for Students
Office 365 Enterprise E1
Office 365 Enterprise E2
Office 365 Enterprise E3
Office 365 Enterprise E3 Developer
Office 365 Enterprise E3 without ProPlus
Office 365 Enterprise E5
Office 365 Enterprise F1 includes PowerApps for Office 365 Enterprise F1

If you've used a sql on-premise connector to store your data then you will need a P1 license for everyone (although I think from your description you probably used (in-app)/excel/sharepoint/onedrive, all of which are covered in the above licenses)

Any questions, please feel free to shout,

ManCat

@iAm_ManCat
My blog

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HansHeintz
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Or: what is the best place to ask this question?

iAm_ManCat

Hello!

You can check licensing options here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#powerapps-for-office-365

You said you had one table for for the data - where is this data hosted? If (in-app)/sharepoint/excel/onedrive then you're in the best position as any of these office licenses will be enough for your users to run PowerApps

Office 365 Business Essentials
Office 365 Business Premium
Office 365 A1 for Faculty
Office 365 A1 for Students
Office 365 A1 Plus for Faculty
Office 365 A1 Plus for Students
Office 365 A3 for Faculty
Office 365 A3 for Students
Office 365 A3 for Student Use Benefit
Office 365 A5 for Student Use Benefit
Office 365 A5
Office 365 A5 for Faculty
Office 365 A5 for Students
Office 365 Education E3 for Faculty
Office 365 Education E3 for Students
Office 365 Education for Homeschool for Faculty
Office 365 Education for Homeschool for Students
Office 365 Enterprise E1
Office 365 Enterprise E2
Office 365 Enterprise E3
Office 365 Enterprise E3 Developer
Office 365 Enterprise E3 without ProPlus
Office 365 Enterprise E5
Office 365 Enterprise F1 includes PowerApps for Office 365 Enterprise F1

If you've used a sql on-premise connector to store your data then you will need a P1 license for everyone (although I think from your description you probably used (in-app)/excel/sharepoint/onedrive, all of which are covered in the above licenses)

Any questions, please feel free to shout,

ManCat

@iAm_ManCat
My blog

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We use both

One entity (= I think a table with index as you would say in database terms) as can be created in the powerapps section of office 365

And a microsoft sql server hosted on an online server

So how much would that cost (our 16 animal caretakers) each mont to view this table and related data form the sql server through my app on their phone?

I am confused how the info from microsoft relates to my situation as do others who I asked on generally well informed people on the tweakers website in Holland. They say users should only need office 365 to use the app since I do not use a model based app and I do not use premium connections.

But users who open my app do need to accept a free trial to powerapps plan 2.

My animal shelter would not appreciate paying 16x40 euro just for everyone to watch one table on an app. I want to go ahead with the plan but I am totally confused where it will lead after the "trial period" and I do not want to look a fool.

So yes, I still have a question: what license will everyone need in the end to go ahead with the app.

Many thanks again.

Hi @HansHeintz ,

Could you please share a bit more about the custom made entity that you mentioned? Is it a CDS Entity?

Do you add a CDS Entity data source within your app?

If you add a CDS Entity data source within your app, I afraid that the animal shelter who owns Office 365 licenses could not run your shared app.

If your animal shelter wants to use your shared which includes a CDS Entity data source, they must own PowerApps Plan 1 license for their account at least.

The users who own Office 365 licenses could not use an app includes CDS Entity data source, please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#powerapps-for-office-365

In addition, if the animal shelter who owns Dynamics 365 licenses want to use your shared, their Dynamics 365 licenses must meet the following requirements:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/pricing-billing-skus#powerapps-for-dynamics-36...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,
The entity is just an entity created by going to
(I have a dutch version so I hope I translate the menus correctly)
powerapps
data
entities
and the I click on
+new entity above

I can then define fields

The people that need to use the app have these licenses:
Office 365 Enterprise E3
Microsoft Flow Free
Power BI (free)

If I let someone use the app a powerapps plan2 trial is added to their license.
This cannot be avoided so logically it would seem as if powerapps plan2 is needed to run the app.

Thanks for your response.

I agree with @v-xida-msft - you are using a CDS entity, which will require a PowerApps Plan 1 license to run. When your users open the App they will be presented with the option for a Plan 2 trial as this is the trial option that Microsoft offers if there is any premium connector or CDS source used within the App 

You can access premium connectors using the P1 license, $7/month, although I would really suggest just re-writing your data source and app - store the data in online sql or sharepoint or something other than the CDS entity - that way your users can use it without any additional licensing requirements than the Office365 licenses they already have.

@iAm_ManCat
My blog

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Ah ok,

Since a table containg all events for all animals might run into the hundreds of thousands of records over the years, is using a sharepoint table as a datasource really an option? Sharepoint tables don't do field indexes for "instant" filtering and sorting do they?

I might do another online sql database for this purpose but our magagent would really like to get all data inside the office/dynamics environment eventually.

SharePoint does have indexes.

I use SharePoint Online for my lists, one of which is just under 30k items. It will exceed 100k by the end of the year, but for our purposes, if it slows down, it will have older entries archived. Perhaps that is something you can do? A list per year?

In PowerApps, it seems fast enough at pulling data through, just read up on delegation etc. as luxuries you may have in SQL with stored procedures etc, you wont have in SharePoint so its important to design the list with these in mind (for example, combo boxes cannot be filtered reliably (see Delegation), so I make a 'Single line of text' that copies the combobox's value, and that is what I filter by).

It seems both for the sql connection  and the CDS entities a p1 license is needed. Luckily we quialify for non profit licenses as an animal shelter wich means about a 60% discount. We dicided to go through with this 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!   This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions in the Forums to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersNumber of SolutionsSuper UsersNumber of Solutions @anandm08  23 @WarrenBelz  31 @DBO_DV  10 @Amik  19 AmínAA 6 @mmbr1606  12 @rzuber  4 @happyume  7 @Giraldoj  3@ANB 6 (tie)   @SpongYe  6 (tie)     Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutions @anandm08  10@WarrenBelz 25 @DBO_DV  6@mmbr1606 14 @AmínAA 4 @Amik  12 @royg  3 @ANB  10 @AllanDeCastro  2 @SunilPashikanti  5 @Michaelfp  2 @FLMike  5 @eduardo_izzo  2   Meekou 2   @rzuber  2   @Velegandla  2     @PowerPlatform-P  2   @Micaiah  2     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps anandm0861WarrenBelz86DBO_DV25Amik66Michaelfp13mmbr160647Giraldoj13FLMike31AmínAA13SpongYe27     Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps DBO-DV21WarranBelz26Giraldoj7mmbr160618Muzammmil_0695067Amik14samfawzi_acml6FLMike12tzuber6ANB8   SunilPashikanti8

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (920)