cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzcase
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Huge licensing problem: Power Automate for Power Apps

I discovered today that a ton of my Power Automate workflows are being flagged as "Needing a premium license," e.g., 

jzcase_0-1668445152774.png

I use a Power Apps per User license and all of my Power Automate workflows work access data from the Dataverse instance for my apps (both Model Driven and Canvas).

According to Microsoft's Power Automate Licensing FAQ, I am allowed to use Premium Licenses (e.g., Dataverse) as long as they "run within the context of the app, which refers to using the same data sources for triggers or acti...

It appears that the affected workflows seems to be ones where only the trigger uses the Dataverse connector. E.g.,

jzcase_1-1668445547877.png

Almost all of these are workflows that use Child Flows in order to help with application lifecycle management. Otherwise I would have to duplicate workflows for all of the different triggering contexts. And the FAQ says I need to use application data for triggers OR actions, not both! 

Many of these workflows are YEARS OLD and never had a problem until now. What is going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK, we have a resolution. From Microsoft tech support:

We sincerely apologize for the time you have spent troubleshooting this. Am glad none of your flows are disabled as a result of this warning. 

I was able to engage the Product team regarding this issue. They reached out and informed me that this is a bug and that they will be fixing it before the end of the week. 

Please be rest assured we are working on it internally and you don’t need to purchase a Power Automate per-user plan license for this particular instance. For your flows, it will still continue to run in the context of the app. If there are any changes, however, the documentation will be updated also. 

Thanks for your understanding. Do enjoy the rest of the day. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jzcase
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

UPDATE

At the moment, it appears that opening the workflows and saving them is making the error go away.

Welp, that's 211 workflows I need to open and save. 

My ticket with Microsoft is still opening and I will report how it goes here.

OK, we have a resolution. From Microsoft tech support:

We sincerely apologize for the time you have spent troubleshooting this. Am glad none of your flows are disabled as a result of this warning. 

I was able to engage the Product team regarding this issue. They reached out and informed me that this is a bug and that they will be fixing it before the end of the week. 

Please be rest assured we are working on it internally and you don’t need to purchase a Power Automate per-user plan license for this particular instance. For your flows, it will still continue to run in the context of the app. If there are any changes, however, the documentation will be updated also. 

Thanks for your understanding. Do enjoy the rest of the day. 

wnzn
Advocate V
Advocate V

Thanks for the update. I have faced similar issues with AI Builder showing that kind of banners while there are ample service credits.

Ventit
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I have a workaround that prevents the need for all my users needing a Premium subscription.  I have an average of 200 users connecting at any one time so a premium subscription is too costly, when you put this on top of our E3 licenses.  I simply have them patching to one row SharePoint List.  In the patch they load to various columns with the data for a subsequent flow based on a trigger "When a new item is created or modified".  I then have one flow with a switch statement that builds the require actions etc.  The last action of the flow deletes the new record which keeps the list clean.  The net effect of this approach has meant I now no longer need to the Flow in powerapps.  I just patch. It also means only my premium license is used for all my flows. I have found so many random connections issue with powerapps and flow that is really cleans it up.  I try to keep my switches to about 10,  although it will do up to 21 (I think) and when I reach that number I just create another list to more.

Note I have found the trigger When a new item is created to be clunky and often seem to fail to work (no logic for it),  that is why I use the other trigger.

I seem to be having a similar issue now (about a year after the original post).

I have received 18 emails so far telling me that my flows are being turned off because I don't have a license.

I pay for Power Apps Per User plan and Dataverse (premium).

Do these emails indicate that I need additional paid licensing for Power Automate?  I've been using it for two years without an issue and now Microsoft seems to have changed something and it's preventing several flows from running and it's also saying that the flows will be automatically turned off soon.

I too am having the same issue described by @FollowTheLion 

Today, none of our accounts with the Power Apps Premium license can make edits or turn on flows. All flows indicate that the flow owner does not have the adequate license. Yet, in the Flows page of make.powerapps.com, there is a green banner saying:

Your admin granted you a premium license. You can now use premium flows. Find flows with premium icon in the name and activity suspended in the modified column and turn them on.

This message conflicts with the message that appears when inside the flow:

This flow will be turned off in 114 days because the owner doesn't have a premium license.

I have created an incident request with Microsoft.

I ended up solving it by editing any flows that have the premium "jewel" symbol and just clicking save.  Just Edit and Save.  I don't know if that will work for you.  It sounds like it's not letting you even make edits.

I still don't know what Microsoft did that triggered all of this, but this did seems to solve it for me.  It was really annoying because I kept getting emails all day for different flows and I had to take each one seriously as it represented another issue.  I think there was something like 20-30 of these emails (I have quite a few flows).

I'm not even sure if the issue is solved because now when I go to Power Automate, instead of the annoying green message saying that the admin had granted me privileges (which didn't make any sense), I'm now getting a message that says "Your premium flows require a premium license. Purchase, extend, or renew a Power Automate license or submit a request to your admin."  So maybe it's broken again.

What is Microsoft doing here?

It went from the green message to another bad message, but now I just went back into Power Automate and checked again and it's back to the green message, so I guess I'm okay - maybe.  This is nuts.

@WillboBaggins Please let me know if you get a useful response from Microsoft on a permanent solution, even if your situation is slightly different.  Thanks so much!

I too, am having this problem.  I was actually in the midst of developing a PowerAutomate flow that Triggered by creation of a Cognito Form and moving the data into an MS SQL database.  In the morning things were working fine.  In the afternoon I was experiencing the problem others have described.  I can't save changes to the flow or turn it on.  Existing flows that are turned on are working fine.
The flow says this;

MJL1_0-1698967639330.png

My subscriptions says this;

MJL1_1-1698967694201.png

WillboBaggins
Frequent Visitor

Ok, so I have solution to this. After having a conversation with Microsoft Support, they confirmed that an additional license is now required for Power Automate. The change came into effect last week. The additional license is called Power Automate Premium and it is required to create, edit, and turn on flows that use their Premium connectors. Which is pretty much everything....

Previously, the Power Apps Premium license was enough to develop both Power Apps and Power Automate.

After I added the Power Automate Premium license, my ability to develop Flows have been restored.

I can confirm that this is the case.  The IT department in my org issued me a Power Automate Premium license and now I'm back in business.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (1,183)