cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massively Frustrating and Useless!!!!

I have no idea how you dare to suggest that this whole PowerApps / Flows / Sharepoint business is in anyway user friendly enough for any user to use.  I am a database developer for a living, and I can't get any of it to work.  It's a complete and utter joke!

All I want to do is create a PowerApp page with a button that uploads a local file to OneDrive.  There are zero templates offering this very simple concept, and when I try to build it from scratch it asks for completely undefined parameters and there are absolutely no instructions or useful information anywhere to be found.  You have developed all these little seperate interconnecting programs, that only serve to make everything that much more inconvenient.  Please Help!  Please design something I can use!  

33 REPLIES 33
zmikic2

Power automate is one very buggy dysfunctional software. sometimes it works, than for a frew moments it doesn't, cannot find web page element, than it can, cannot find part of the screen to click on, and than it can for a few times,  cannot control browser. Very unreliable! This is kind of alpha-beta software.  

PowerScrapps is great for non-programmers who want a very simple application with a design that looks like it was made by a 5 year old. Why did M$ not use the same controls as those of SharePoint? As soon as I saw the date picker control, I gave up. I develop 3x faster using SPFx + React since when I place a new element in my page I am absolutely certain that the other elements of the page will not move on their own.

michaelgaci
Regular Visitor

And six years later it's still absolutely garbage. I can't even do something simple like let someone else in my organization use the app I've built, I have no idea why or how to grant them a license, or increase capacity. This is terrible, I would have an easier time learning full stack development and doing this all myself. What a joke.

DeanM1985
Frequent Visitor

The most frustrating and user-unfriendly piece of software I've ever had to use. Nothing is intuitive, EVERYTHING requires writing code (so that claim of being low-code/no-code is a blatant lie), and there's no good documentation for pretty much anything.

Basic functionality between two MS products, like SharePoint and PowerApps still takes all kinds of workarounds and custom code to get functional because Microsoft apparently has never used their own products, or any products, and has no idea how people want to use things or how computers even work.

Gogitow

Agreed.  I can do things with a few lines of VB code in Excel that can't seem to be replicated in Power Automate without an extensive amount of 'boxes'.  Thus far the only thing I've found it useful for is saving email attachments into generic folders on Sharepoint.  I've been attempting to figure out how to save those files into folders based on a date in the attachment name with no luck at all.  Meanwhile, I already have this coded in VB.

Mikemcc

Agreed.  The entire design environment is absolutely AWFUL, it makes the VBA code editor look positively wonderful.

That it adds in endless Apply To Each loops even when I have filtered to have one record, that the expression editor is like typing through a letterbox, that the error messages are commonly that step so-and-so has failed... (and... WHY!?). It's sluggish to develop in too.   It's just horrible, it takes me an age to develop anything beyond absolute basic e-mail reminders.

A case in point. I am developing a flow that opens an excel file from SharePoint and cycles through each line in turn, copies four values from each line and copies them to the relevant columns in a matching SharePoint List.  8 hours of utter frustration latter, it's still not working. I have to use it, but I loathe it with a vengeance.

I am a full stack developer and i have to agree. We are being forced to use this stuff by non programmers and every single developer in our team is capable of developing bespoke applications over various languages and libraries.

The only way i can explain my experience of the power platform is: Imagine you are a plumber, and you can weld custom fitting bespoke pipe layouts. Then suddenly you are not allowed to weld anymore and are forced to use fixed length pipes and push to fit fittings.

Essentially power apps and power automate is like being asked to put a screw in with a hammer. Yes it works, but its not optimal or no where near the finesse of traditional software development cycles.

@Jamoy1993 In your view what would be some things that would make Power Apps and Power Automate feel less like that to you for your particular scenarios?

From my point of view… The problem with powerapps is that it is too simplistic and limiting for the greenest developer level user and too complicated for a casual user. It exists in this wholly useless middle ground that fits no one’s needs. It’s very counterintuitive, and the claim that it is no code or low code is a complete lie.  The code is hidden in the properties panel behind each object.  It works backwards to how all other database systems work. And it’s written in its own language that MS won’t explain to you within the app using a simple wizard – you just have to google everything and hope that some other fool has been forced to adopt the platform as well.  Plus if you don’t type this “low” code in manually – it may not work at all, even if it’s written perfectly.  So no copy/pasting code in.  As you type, it appears to grab references write it’s own hidden code in the background to connect your references to real data.  It’s skeezy to put it simple. They’re trying to make it out to be much more than it is.  If you don’t use one of their pre-made templates – you’ll never make something that fully works.  They just need to beef up MS Access for 365 and make it even better.  It’s a program that makes sense, it does reporting and data entry, plus there’s a TON of information out there about how to use it and it can do everything a pro or casual user could need. 

soft888
Regular Visitor

indeed power automate is worst tool I have ever work on. I am a RPA architect and have working experience with various other RPA tools such as Blue Prism, UiPath, Automation Anywhere for some extent but I have never been frustrated as I am not using this tool. this is most unreliable tool you can think of and the worst part is the tool selection was from customer so I don;t have choice to change it. 

For one, i would stop this citizen developer ideology. Its punishing skilled developers in the hopes that average people are going to have the time, will and technical knowledge to even attempt making their own stuff.

I would also allow programmers to use actual languages like C# and C++ opposed to scripting languages for a start, tying into my plumbing analogy.

murbro9
Regular Visitor

I completely agree. Microsoft have really screwed up. This crap is overcomplicated, clunky and pathetic. I have been a Microsoft developer for over 20 years and I am disgusted at how poor this is

I have to agree with all of the criticisms here. It is absolutely shocking to me, as a SQL developer, that so many of these choices were made. Why on earth does a table need a display name, a plural name, a schema name, a logical name, AND an Entity Set Name? Microsoft has SSMS so why on earth does Dynamics/Power Automate work like this?

I am positive any given layman could learn to make a SQL trigger to insert a row into table A based upon x criteria from table B. I have been failing at what should be an insanely simple task for days now. It's horrible for any CRUD operations other than, maybe, read. 

I haven't been this frustrated with software or even been this unsuccessful with anything my entire life.

CD00131
Advocate I
Advocate I

It takes a little to get warm with it.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages