cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent unused Flows from being turned off

Is there a way to prevent Flow that are rarely used from being turned off? I have a rarely used but still business critical process where there was a warning email and then the the Flow was disabled:

We noticed that your flow has not run at all in the past 90 days. We disabled it on ...

The email address for this account is not one that I check frequently, so I had not seen the warning. Regardless, this seems like something I should be able to disable.

I did see a suggestion to create an admin Flow that checks Flows to see if they are on, but I consider that to be a bit of a clunky work around.

27 REPLIES 27
gabibalaban
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Hi @hilary_stoupa,

I wonder if is not a solution to create another flow with Office365Outlook Trigger - "When a new email arrives" filtered by subject (and take from a previous email the keywords that you need to uniquely identify this kind of warning emails)  and eventually by sender and add only a simply action Office365Outlook - Send an email to be notified about the warning. 

It is just a thought.

Hope it helps !

MortenT
Advocate I
Advocate I

I really have a WF (many of them) that is used as "tool" to clean metadata, that can run on demand by Key users. But It is not something, that needs to run very offen. 

I want to repeat the question: 

"How to reprevent unused Flows to be disabled".

/Morten

Another concern - what if the Flow is set to run every 4 months and is a scheduled Flow? Does that get turned off too?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this any new feature update from Microsoft ? we have been receiving emails about few flow which runs once in year or so due to the business requirements..is there any way to exclude flows from auto disabling?  

I also just had a button Flow turned off. This is pretty frustrating. I am not sure why Microsoft feels that they should automatically determine whether or not I am using something, simply because I am not using it as often as they think I should.

Francis
Advocate II
Advocate II

I too have a super important annual process supported by Flow. It doesn't make sense at all to disable it automatically after 90 days!

I've also found that when I  turn a Flow back on, unless it gets used, it just gets turned off again in a week. So it isn't like turning it back on gets me another 90 days. I can't go mimic the action that would cause it to run - this is a production environment.

Came here to add my 2 cents. I have a manual flow that is only used in case of emergency when the senior system administrator (Me) is out of the office. This flow allows my less technical team to quickly spin up a new SQL database in the event of replication failure so my thousands of users (and business) don't come to a screeching halt. The fact that this flow is disabled weekly and the only notification is an email to the only person that won't actually use the flow is very frustrating. This issue is forcing me to find a new solution entirely. 

Oh and it looks like it may be dependent on tenant. On a client tenant, the messages say:

We noticed that your flow has not run at all in the past 90 days.

On my company's tenant, we only get 60 days:

We noticed that your flow has not run at all in the past 60 days.

EDITED TO ADD: looks like my client's tenant has caught up with mine, and they are now getting turned off at 60 days too. So, rather than make it better by allowing me to "opt out" of this behavior for some Flows, they are actually making worse.

🙂

MortenT
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi all Power users

This link show the new limit (or anyway new to me)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/limits-and-config#expiration-limits

"To keep the flow active you may need to adjust your trigger or purchase a standalone Power Automate license plan"

So if we don't want these triggers to time-out, we need to buy a standalone Power license plan.

Anyone, knows how to find the price for such a plan?

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/ has the pricing. I know this wasn't a limit when I first created these Flows - so this is super annoying. But thanks for directing me to the documentation.

CManske

Just schedule to run monthly (or daily) and have a conditional check for the month or date needed.

if formatDateTime(utcnow(),'MMMM') = April ...

The scheduled trigger with a condition is the definite workaround, but it really makes no sense to me for Microsoft to enact this.  Really if more people use that workaround it is just going to increase the load for Microsoft.  (example: I used to have 10 automated trigger flows that run once each every 4 to 6 months when the trigger is enacted, but now I have 10 scheduled flows that run weekly or daily and check for the condition to be met)  And of course this helps with automated and scheduled flows, but will not help with an instant cloud flow from a button, for instance.

A choice that could only have been made to try and drive revenue from Power Automate licensing, but this really seems to be NOT the way at least for me.

I have this kind of trigger for monthly and yearly tasks. Monthly is ok but not yearly.

vasoftball5
Regular Visitor

From the discussion - it seems the best option is to schedule a flow to run weekly, to initiate the flow that needs to stay alive. You can pass a parameter into the flow call, which means your critical flow can simply check for that  parameter, and exit when it exists. Rather simple approach and workable. I don't really understand the purpose of automatically disabling a dormant flow. It's not like doing so improves Azure performance (it's DORMANT).  SMH

Additonally - your "tapper" flow can be modified to call as many flows as needed to be kept alive. You will just need to modify the subsequent flows to check for the parameter and exit. But you'd at least have a single point of kicking off the keep-alive flow.

Dji

I found a new action possible trough the "basic" power automate, the action is "activate flow". Trough that new action, i've input all my flows that are possible to be deactivated (dormant). I run that one on a monthly basis in order to keep everything alive.

Hope it might help others

I believe this is currently the best option to address a stupid situation. Thanks, @CManske , for posting it.

samsa17

I've tried creating a Monthly scheduled flow to list all the flows and turn them on. It's running successfully but it doesn't seem to be turning them on. I'm logged in as the Flow creator user/owner.  My flow is below. 

I deliberately turned off 2 flows to see what would happen. But it doesn't turn them on. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Sam

samsa17_0-1674518884111.png

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (795)