Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike8
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Return data to Powerapps issue

Hello everyone,

I am following the instructions of this:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/return-an-array-from-flow-to-powerapps-response-method/

Unfortunately instead of retrieving the records, I retrieve a True value.

This is the flow:

FlowEdit.PNGHere is the expression that collects the data from the FlowHere is the expression that collects the data from the FlowAs you can see the flow sends back dataAs you can see the flow sends back data
Here is what the flow returnsHere is what the flow returns
Does anyone know why? I would like to have the data and not the true value.
Thank you

44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

These works for me.

Remove the old component, add updated one and it should work for you. Seems like PowerApp is not smart yet enough to detect changes for the components that were updated and by default when you created basic version it probably was sending Boolean value.

Thanks @Anonymous but I have created like 4 flows to try to get this resolved - and no luck. And I am not a novice to Flow (Automate) or Power Apps. @microsoft please advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same issue when calling an api via custom connector directly from a powerapp and setting the response to a variable or collection. I have done this in the past without issue, but it appears that powerapps is unable to recognize the response data and only provides me with a true or false value indicating if the call was executed successfully.

Call being made upon button click:

ClearCollect(colGetClients, App.GetClients("application/json",{Hub: "H001", OpenOrdersOnly: "True"}));

Actual response shown via postman, custom connector testing, and Dev Tools > Network:

{
  "Client""test"
}

What is actually set to collection:
just a true value. The same happens for other methods that return multiple records. The collection or variable simply shows true or false.

Any help is appreciated. This is an urgent issue. I am wondering is this could be related at all to the custom connector issues that Microsoft was experiencing 2 weeks ago in late 2019.

I haven't read all the replies here. 

All to often I see the standard "can you give me a screenshot" question being flagged as a solution while not being very helpful.

Anyway I have found that there is some magic going on in PowerApps Studio when connecting to flow / powerautomate. 

It used to be so that you can go to data sources or flow actions and click refresh on the flow, this does not seem to be the case any more.

My solution was to create a new button and then select the flow as its on select property, this forces the studio to update what it expects the flow to return. You can delete the button again and it should work with the buttons that did not previously work 🙂

Maybe this will help you to fix the problem: 

you can select all columns that come from the json formatCapture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

jarellm
Regular Visitor

Encountered the same issue... what solved it for me was explictly stating the expected content type

Capture.PNG

KnoxLam
Frequent Visitor

hjaf's solution worked like a charm!

Adding a new button, then link it to ms flow instantly forced the button to see what kind of data the flow is supposed to return

Side note: Idk to what extend it matters but if anyone is trying to recreate the flow from scratch and in case you haven't yet tried the export function, might as well try exporting the flow and import it back first

Really, recreating a flow is very tedious

After trying all the ways posted here, what worked for my case is to regenerate the Response body schema (Generate from sample) in the HTTP response action. The expected result from the flow became visible in Power Apps afterwards.

I am seeing the same as you 

I am also having this same issue, even after deleting and re creating the flow several times.

Button press > triggers flow >flow runs successfully >Response has values > ClearCollect(myCollection, my Flow.run(Textinput.Text)) >no collection, only 'True'

Flow is Get Input from Powerapps > HTTP Get > Response

Does anyone have a solution or reason to why this is still an issue given the time since this thread was made? If I remove response from the flow and just past the HTTP body back to powerapps I get the json data as one long single. string which is of course totally useless. 

@ColinUcan you provide the screenshot of your flow content? also, have you populated the schema in the get http response action?

Have you removed the Flow from your power apps sources and re-added the flow, sometimes caching causes an issue and returns only that the flow ran but not the returned data. 

ColinU
Frequent Visitor

Hi All

I have got this issue resolved however sorry to say I do not know what single action fixed it, by the end of it I had basically made a new blank power app and re-creates the flow verbatim under a new name (not save as and then edit) I am leaning towards some kind of caching issue as pointed out. 

Is there a way to turn off caching? Because this has wasted several hours of testing /searching/googling all to find out you were doing it right the whole time and it was some server side nonsense causing all the headache. very frustrating. 

Solution for me was as follows:

• On the button, go to OnSelect, select all and cut the text in the function
  • Click on Action, then select Power Automate
  • Click on the Flow in the Data blade, it should say "Adding"
  • When it has completed, paste the text you cut earlier back into the OnSelect function
  • Run the process again by clicking the button and the correct information appears in the collection

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
Removing the Flow vom PowerApps and adding it again worked for me as well.

tried all of these options. still comes back with boolean. trash !

Like most of you none of these options worked for me.

I worked on this for I would say half a day. =(

What worked for me was removing the required portion of the JSON.
Source: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Parse-Json-in-Flow-to-PowerApps/m-p/354885/highli...

Sorry I do not know how to link to a specific post, but the poster is the 7th post, one of a couple marked as a solution in that post.

I essentially went to the bottom of my "Response Body JSON Schema" within my Response action and deleted everything highlighted in my image. This resolved the "true" response.

6-25-2020 3-16-05 PM.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had the exact same problem, data was coming from Flow as boolean when it should of been record.

I recreated the flow from scratch. And it worked..

I started not with a blank flow, but with this template:

AndKanPA_0-1602074291212.png

This works for me.

Other way: Remove connection to flow and add it again. Otherwise CanvasApp oesnt read return values again.
But: All uses of this connection are removed and you have to add it on all places again.
Is there a possibility to synchronize flow return values?

Best regards,

AndKan.

Ok all, I have found a practical solution that doesn't resolve stupid work arounds.

Firstly, every time you make a change to your flow, you will more than likely need to change the PowerApps connection. For this reason, I do all of my testing in a brand new blank app that I just don't save - as it is easier to blow it away after each change I make in Flow (I don't think I will ever get use to saying Power Automate lol)

So, the solution. This is JSON. So rather than looking for exact solutions in PowerAutomate forums I actually learnt about JSON as a whole, and that is how I came to the solution. For me, the issue came around the schema PAutomate was returning to PApps. When you use the Generate from sample, it will just use the "type": "array" - so when PApps gets this response it says "Yes, this is an array".

This had me pulling out my hair because I was returning an array of objects, and could see that in PAutomate, it just wasn't reflected in PApps!

To resolve this, you actually need to articulate what the items of the array are in the JSON Schema;

{
    "type": "array",
    "items": {
		"type": "object",
		"properties": {
			"resource": {
				"type": "string"
			},
			"key": {
			},
			"fields": {
					"displayName": {
					},
					"barcode": {
					},
					"birthDate": {
					},
					"library": {
							"resource": {
							},
							"key": {
							}
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}
    }
}

It is also worth noting, that you do need to make sure you remove any "Required" properties the "Generate from Sample" adds, as this will also cause issues....

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (803)