cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL query connection issue - Anonymous authentication scheme

Hello,

I am trying to query a dataverse table using the "Execute a SQL query (V2)" connector, but getting the follwoing error already on saving:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 202801.png

I do have access to the environment/table - i.e. when the offending step is removed, the "List rows (legacy)" step executes just fine.

Also, I am able to run the same query using Power Query or SSMS:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 213432.png

Screenshot 2024-02-16 210310.png

The error message suggests something is wrong with the connection, but it looks fine to me.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 213922.png

Same issue in PowerApps with its SQL connector:

Screenshot 2024-02-16 220549.png

Screenshot 2024-02-16 221047.png

And again, I am able to access this data just fine in PowerApps using the Dataverse connector.

As can be seen in the first screenshot, the Flow is not in the same environment as the table I try to query (though not sure if this is relevant). Same with the Power App. These aren't actual environment names, I did doctor these screenshots up a bit to better illustrate the issue. The cases/incident table is also just an example, the actual table I want to query is ActivityParty table which is not available via the Dataverse Legacy connector, but it is available via SQL (as seen in Power Query and SSMS screenshots) so I am expecting it to be available via SQL connector in Power Automate, once that connection issue is resolved - any idea how it can be fixed, please?

11 REPLIES 11
cchannon
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Dataverse does not support anonymous or username/password authentication. It only accepts claims-based authentication connections. What's more, the Azure SQL Data Warehouse connector is meant for querying Azure SQL Data Warehouse: an entirely different product. And even beyond that, Dataverse doesn't actually expose a SQL connection at all! It exposes a TDS endpoint that just emulates a SQL connection.

What you are doing will never work. Convert your query to Fetch and use the Dataverse connector instead.

@cchannon thank you, this is helpful. So how do I convert the query to Fetch?

I suggest using the FetchXML Builder tool. It is a free community tool in the XRM Toolbox, and it makes it easy to convert queries between Fetch, SQL, C# QueryExpression, OData, WebAPI, and PowerAutomate parameters.

@cchannon  alright, will give it a go, but my concern is that at the end, I am still going to have to execute the Fetch query via Power Automate, right?

I don't know why that would cause you concern. You can execute a fetch query many ways, but yes, Power Automate is a particularly easy one. You will want to use the Dataverse connector, specifically the List Rows action, which accepts as an input a Fetch XML string or OData-like query parameters (you can use either one, but if your query is very complex, I'd definitely recommend Fetch). 

@cchannon ok, so the reason I'm afraid this will not work for me is the following: Dataverse connector + List Rows action only works in the current environment, and, as mentioned in my initial post, my flow is not in the same environment as the ActivityParty table I am trying to query. I do not have the necessary access level to create my flow in the same environment as the table. Furthermore, when I try the new List rows from selected environment action in the Dataverse connector, I am getting a Data Policy violation error, so I cannot use that either. Which leaves me with the Dataverse (legacy) connector, but that one does not offer the Fetch query option:

Screenshot 2024-02-21 233318.png

Nor is the ActivityParty table available via Dataverse (legacy) connector.
But seeing how I could easily access this table via SSMS or PowerQuery, I thought that I could get there using the SQL connector in Power Automate - which you've now explained is not actually possible.

My query isn't complex, it's actually super simple - select 2 columns from ActivityParty table for a given (single) activity id. But unless there is some magic with the Fetch query you suggested that I am unaware of, I don't think it's going to work.

OK, in that case, what you're looking for is the "List rows from selected environment" action, not "List Rows":

cchannon_0-1708626883914.png

It lets you pick the environment target and use Fetch or Odata, whichever you prefer:

cchannon_2-1708626947686.png

@cchannon you didn't read my last message fully, right?

A Data Policy Violation is the result of a DLP boundary: Most likely, the issue is that your different environments are in different DLP boundaries and the Dataverse connector isn't permitted to reach across.

But it could also be that the Dataverse connector is considered "business data" which cannot be mixed in a single flow with other connectors considered "non-business."

It is also possible, if the Environment you are trying to connect to is in a different tenant, that one or both of the tenants in question have Tenant Isolation policies in place preventing the connection.

In any case, you should consult your admins to find out what the permitted connection patterns are; it could be that you can make this connection with a Service Principal, or you might need to make the API call directly using a custom connector or your own coded connection.

If all else fails, then you can also take more creative approaches to this, such as using that same Excel approach you demonstrated in an Excel sheet kept in OneDrive, and use the Power Automate actions to refresh its connection and pull latest, or a Power Automate Desktop flow that logs in as your user and queries/exports the data. These would be very kludgy approaches though, so don't go this way unless you have no other choice.

@cchannon thank you again for all this useful info, much appreciated. I've logged a ticket with our admins a few days ago re the DLP error and awaiting a reply now.
I don't think it's the mix of business and non-business data or the tenant isolation thing that causes the DLP error in this particular case, because the error appears as soon as I add any of the "... from selected environment" actions, even before specifying the environment/table I want to connect to.

The Excel workaround is what I have in place for over a year now, it works OK, but I'm aware that it's a sub-optimal solution and was hoping to remove this dependency. Thanks again for your time, I will report back when I hear from the admins.

OK, that's good information. If it is erroring out immediately upon trying to use that action, it's because the blocked the action itself in DLP Connector action control - Power Platform | Microsoft Learn

The good news here is that DLPs are very flexible, so it is straightforward for your Admins to create special exception policies just for your one environment or even just this one flow, assuming that is permitted by their policies and procedures. Resource exemption - Power Platform | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (1,097)