cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Columns from parent entities sometimes not available in views

Hello.

I am struggling to have columns from some parent tables available to add to views.

For some tables, parent tables are present in the Related tab when adding columns, but for some other tables, the Related tab contains only tables from standard relationships (Created By, Modified By, Owned By...). So in this case only the primary column of the parent tables is available to add in the view.
Between the two situations (parent tables present or not present), I have not found any difference in the way parent and child tables are setup in their relationship for example. I see that I am not alone to face this issue, but no suggested solution that I have read applies. All customizations are pusblished, all tables are included in the solution, the searchable attributes are set both sides, etc. I don't know what other direction to explore...
Thank you for your ideas...

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @Gilles12 

This issue has to do with the structure of the relational model that you have set up.

For example you have a table A and a table B with a relationship from table A to Table b 1:N

If in table B you would like to see the fields from table A in the related fields, you can do so. On the other hand, in table A you could not show the fields of table B in the related ones

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
You can accept more than one post as a solution
Follow me on Linkedin, I talk about Power Platform
Visit me!

Hi @Jmanriquerios.

Thank you for your answer. However following your example, it is really in table B that I don't have table A columns included (except the primary column). I have a lot of 1:N relationships in my model. Just one example, I have a Deal to Booking (1:N) and I perfectly see the Deal table in Related and all its columns. Many others are working well. I have exactly the same relation (1:N) from Survey Question to Survey Response and in the Survey Response I can't see Survey Question table and columns (except again the primary column). This 1:N relation works perfectly for other purposes, like to have a subgrid, but in the view used in this subgrid, I can have only the primary column of the Question. So there is something, but I can't find what!
Please see my illustration attached.

Hi @Gilles12 

The image is not shown, can you send it again?

Visit me!

Perhaps better in the message itself...

Gilles12_1-1711013942541.png

Hi @Gilles12 

There seems to be something wrong with the relationships, because in principle it should be a single relationship, it's just that seeing it from one side or the other is what changes but it is a single relationship.

My example, the products table is the parent and the offer product table is the child

When I see it in the offer it appears as a 1:N relationship

Jmanriquerios_1-1711014201978.png

When I see it from the offer product it appears as an N:1 relationship

Jmanriquerios_2-1711014304263.png

Everything seems to be the same, something is wrong in your environment,

Jmanriquerios_0-1711014132415.png

Visit me!

I understand your point, however I just deleted the relationship visible on the Survey Question side (after removeing the Question column from the view because it was a dependency), and it has deleted automatically the other (so for me it is the same visible both sides). Then I recreated the lookup column in Survey Response, and the relationship is now visible both sides again, exactly as the first time. I just did the same as the first time, which is basically to create the lookup column. Not more!

You're right in the sense that with my old Deal to Booking relationship, it is visible only on the Booking side (and probably the same for all my other relationships in the model).

So there is something with my new tables that makes the relation visible both sides and prevent to use it normally!! Very very strange!

Some good news but still weird in the relationship side!

After I recreated the relationship after deletion (as I said just by recreating the lookup column), now all is working fine. But trust me, the new relationship is still visible both sides, exactly the same way than before! So there was "something" the first time, I will never know what.

Also, I had the same issue with a second parent table. I did the same deletion and recreation of the lookup column, and same result. It works but the relatiosnhip is also visible both sides.

See that now I can get both parent tables and all their columns in the view:

Gilles12_2-1711018031769.png

Relationships in Survey Responses (normal):

Gilles12_3-1711018135434.png

Relationship still visible in parent Survey Question:

Gilles12_4-1711018205269.png

Relationship still visible in parent Survey Response Set:

Gilles12_5-1711018261766.png

What do you think?

Hi @Gilles12 

I don't know what you are doing, but it is really a single relationship that is created, for example if you create it from table A to table B, you must create it as a 1:N relationship, or if you create it from table B to A, you must create a Lookup field.

Check because I think you are creating relationships twice.

Visit me!

No really I have just and only created the relationship on the N side, while only creating the lookup column. It was what I have done the first time, and then what I have done the second time also after deleting the relationship. When I deleted the relationship, it disappeared on both sides, and when I recreated the lookup column, the relatioship was again visible both sides.
I understand all what you say. I believe you, what you say is purely logical. On my side, I can just say what I have  done and what I see. As it is working perfectly in the view, it seems this "strange" relationship is not the reason why it was not working.
Anyway, all is working fine now. I appreciate your help and I will pay attention to future behavior. As I created a ticket to the support team and I cancelled it, they asked me more for more info anyway, so let's see if they have an explanation.
Best regards,

Gilles.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!   This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions in the Forums to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersNumber of SolutionsSuper UsersNumber of Solutions @anandm08  23 @WarrenBelz  31 @DBO_DV  10 @Amik  19 AmínAA 6 @mmbr1606  12 @rzuber  4 @happyume  7 @Giraldoj  3@ANB 6 (tie)   @SpongYe  6 (tie)     Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutions @anandm08  10@WarrenBelz 25 @DBO_DV  6@mmbr1606 14 @AmínAA 4 @Amik  12 @royg  3 @ANB  10 @AllanDeCastro  2 @SunilPashikanti  5 @Michaelfp  2 @FLMike  5 @eduardo_izzo  2   Meekou 2   @rzuber  2   @Velegandla  2     @PowerPlatform-P  2   @Micaiah  2     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps anandm0861WarrenBelz86DBO_DV25Amik66Michaelfp13mmbr160647Giraldoj13FLMike31AmínAA13SpongYe27     Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps DBO-DV21WarranBelz26Giraldoj7mmbr160618Muzammmil_0695067Amik14samfawzi_acml6FLMike12tzuber6ANB8   SunilPashikanti8

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (455)