Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stiabhna
Regular Visitor

Operate "Save As" dialog box with Power Automate Desktop

Hi everyone,

Please excuse my newbie question!
I'm attempting to use PAD to automate some steps in a web-based project management system we have.
In one of steps, I would like to select a list of projects and use the built-in button on the web interface to download the list to an Excel file.

The problem is that a Windows "Save As" dialog box then appears and I can't seem to select anything on it (for example, to enter a file name or click "Save".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance and best wishes,
Stephen

18 REPLIES 18
Expiscornovus
Most Valuable Professional

Hi @Stiabhna,

I would use actions from the UI Automation category for this. You can probably use a Click UI element in window for this. Try and track the UI element and use it in that action.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-automate/desktop-flows/actions-reference/uiautomation#click

pad_window_actions.png

Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #MicrosoftCopilotStudio content?
Visit my blog, Subscribe to my YouTube channel or Follow me on Twitter

The problem is you cannot capture the UI element.

And therefore not click it.

I have the same problem in any other popup in Edge (Log-in forms fx)

Expiscornovus

Hi @lema7913,

It should be possible to find these UI elements with the Add UI element control. For example Window 'Open' in my earlier example is a file explorer dialog box. This can be found via this selector

> window[Class="#32770"]

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winmsg/about-window-classes#types-of-window-classes

Happy to help out! 🙂

Interested in more #PowerAutomate #SharePointOnline or #MicrosoftCopilotStudio content?

I agree - withe windows controls.
The problem is that it doesn't seem to work with Microsoft Edge

Expiscornovus

Hi @lema7913,

What is the selector of your group, where the UI element is listed under? In my example the group is using selector with a specific filter for msedge process:

:desktop > window[Process="msedge"]

Sometimes it helps to be more specific and add additional criteria like the name to the selector.

Happy to help out! 🙂

Use focus window, use the select window feature once you have manually opened the save window dialog box. When the red square shows up around the right window hold Control + Left click to capture the window element. 

The file name field should already have the cursor in it. If not, you can populate text field (you have to capture the element using the same process as select window.  If the cursor is already there, just use send keys. Both should work.  For send keys:

send keys %filepath%
wait 1

send keys {Enter}
wait 1

send keys %filename%
wait 1

send keys {Enter}

Sending the file path and pressing enter will take you to the file path. 

----
If my post has answered your question, please thumbs up and mark this post as a solution.

I also offer paid consulting services at www.peakdigitran.com/appointments and you can find me on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-annis-80903/,

The problem starts earlyer. I can not capture the element.

To replicate the problem: Start Edge, Open Downloads (Ctrl+J), try to grab the elements in that list (I can capture the window itself, but not the elements)

> pane > pane > pane > pane > pane[Class="DialogClientView"] (the Downloads window in Edge)

The problem is that I need to go a step deeper to get the "Save as" button

Hello,
did you ever find a solution for this.  I'm having the same problem.  UI element capture only highlights the container pane but not the "Save as" button in it.

No. As a (temporary?) solution i had to go back to Internet Explorer 😞

I'm waiting for Microsoft to fix their shortcommings.

(If Microsoft Power Automate can't work with Microsoft Edge, then Microsoft has a problem they should focus on, and fix ASAP)

Very unfortunate.  
The strange thing was that i was able to capture the inner elements of the downloads popup a week ago.  (See below)  and my automation was working.  But yesterday I updated Edge to the latest version and it stopped working.   

---------------------
> pane[Class="Chrome_WidgetWin_1"] > pane[Class="RootView"][Name="Downloads"] > pane[Class="NonClientView"] > pane[Class="BubbleFrameView"] > pane[Class="DialogClientView"] > pane[Class="BubbleDialogDelegateView"] > document > list[Class="c0190"][Id="list-focus-container"]

One more update.
Since previously i was able to capture the inner Recent Downloads list and the first Save As button as a UI element i was able to run the automation in Edge Version 97.0.1072.69.   And it worked sometimes, but not reliably.  Other times it would throw the "Could not find UI element"  error.    With this version of Edge PAD's UI element capture no longer works on the Recent Downloads popup and thus prevents any file saving automation.   I was forced to switch to Chrome, which does not have that intermediate dialog and opens the standard Save As dialog right away.  With only minor modifications it worked in Chrome.   So this is the solution for now.

Interestingly the same script ran much faster with Chrome than with Edge. 

It is rather unfortunate that MS felt in necessary to add more UI interaction to the standard file download use case in Edge. Since the user already must go to the browser settings to enable "Ask me for location"   setting for file downloads there's absolutely no value in having that extra popup that list recent downloads and requires me to click Save As one more time. The user already decided that they want to specify file destination on every download.   Less is more, as always. 

UI Automation did not work, so instead focused on window using class name and title and then gave send keys.

Neha2904_0-1664226807771.png

The above works fine in attended mode but 'Send keys fails' in unattended mode.any help ?

momlo
Super User
Super User

Hey, i've ran through the above replies and to be honest, I'm struggling understanding what is the exact issue.

However, as I have couple of flows where I use Edge to download 100s of files and they work spot on each time, I'll try to help.

My configuration:

1. Edge Settings
    1. - Settings - Downloads
      1. Ask each time what to do with file - i want to be able to name download
      2. Show download menu each time - i keep this for dev, i want to see if files are downloading
  2. Edge behavior
    1. Edge introduced this new, additional, unnecessary, popup each time you want to download file (instead of just going straight to the OS save as dialog

momlo_0-1666941477419.png

1. But! If your browser window is to narrow (low resolution or window not maxed out), it till not display it even though you enabled it in step1, it will show the button only:

momlo_1-1666941569204.png

2. So what I do, I set my Edge window to max to ensure I don't need to automate the button, but just the popup.
      momlo_0-1666941477419.png
    3. You can spy on the buttons and text here.
      1. So after I click a link, or any other element that should start the download - I add wait for the text to appear in the popup (it says "what do you want to do with the file" or similar).
      2. Then, knowing the popup is presented, I click "Save as" button
      3. Then you are presented with standard OS save as windows that you can spy on and capture all of the individual UI

So to wrap out - you don't need to use send keys for automating this in Edge, but is unnecessary complicated by Microsoft, by adding this popup.

For this exact reason, I switched from Edge to Chrome for my flows 😄

Send keys and click mouse fails in unattended mode to select the window.

So modified the chrome settings to avoid the "SAVE AS" dialogbox

sri24_1-1666953169954.png

Mine was not a "Save as" dialog but rather a print out dialog from VBA. But faced the same challenge and eventually had to save it in "Downloads" folder

AnyOh

This one really tested my patience. 

All on Edge.

Prep: ensure browser window state is maximized

1. To select "Save As", used 'Send mouse click' and navigated (x,y coordinates) to the button (instant movement with a 1 sec wait beforehand).

2. Used Focus text field in window to select Edit 'File name' (actually left all the Elements intact for this UI).

3. Send keys: ="insert file path here\"& varFilename

4. Wait 1 sec

5. Send keys (Send keys to: Foreground window): Text to send: {Enter} 

Real hack but works in attended mode. 😓 Shouldn't' be this hard.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages