cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vincentnoot
Frequent Visitor

failed to open excel document (active workbook retrieval error)

Hi,

A flow I've had running fine for months suddenly returns an error when trying to open an Excel file.

The file is in a synchronized sharepoint folder, that the flow tries to access through its path in the explorer.

On attempting to run the Launch Excel step, it returns an error "Failed to open excel document" (active workbook retrieval error).

I already put a Terminate Process (EXCEL) before the Launch Excel step, but this doesn't helpt.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

try to repair your Office installation.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

try to repair your Office installation.

vincentnoot
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the fast reply. This solved the problem. The problem occurred again soon after, but restarting the laptop solved it again.

Since I had the same issue (after months without any issues), and repair and reinstall Office and PAD did not work, I fix it by doing the following: I added the "Launch Excel"-step into another PAD flow, and used the "Run desktop flow" to run the newly created PAD-flow, which worked. I'm just gonna leave it as is, since it's working now.

Hi All.

Today (Monday) I also got this error on a flow that worked perfectly on Friday.

I tried repairing the office installation, uninstalled and reinstalled power automate desktop, switched off the computer, killed processes in windows's task manager. I cleared the power automate cache, created copies of my documents on my desktop (since they were originally on my one drive).

So far no chance.

I also have no idea how to find out what might cause the issue.

I am on Power Automate 2.28.135.23016

Thanks for the help.

Hi @freeeeea,

Did you try my solution? It's easy to set up, and it works for me (see screenshot below). 

Unfortunately, I highly doubt it's something Microsoft will fix, as they're really good at purchasing existing software, and uses little effort to fix existing bugs, and just leaves them as is, so we have to find our own workarounds....

AlexTheKidd_0-1675149488603.png

Thanks AlexTheKidd for the reply.

I did not try your suggestion. I did not completely understand how to set it up and how this could resolve the issue.

In my flow I open two different existing excels as read only to read values, populate a list and then close them.

These values are stored to perform validation and confirm that all instances of a variable contain valid entries.

So I need to be able to pass variables from a flow to another.

Then I open a second excel where I write down all the values of around 30 attributes that I gathered from looking at files and validating their filenames and file paths.

The process should work for a big amount of files.

Today the process stopped at opening the excels but I don't think that, if it is a bug, it is impacting only excels.

I have other flows where reading files from a folder and writing to a text file seem impacted.

As most of my flows work on one drive maybe it is a cloud issue or internet speed.

Really strange.

Hi @freeeeea ,

Why it stopped working? No idea. I had the same issue.

How I solved the issue:

Created a new flow, and only have 1 actionin the flow, which is "Run Desktop Flow", which again directs to run the actual flow. Here is are screenshots of my flows, and how it works:

AlexTheKidd_0-1675173712603.png

The one called HANDTOOLS - v1 is the one containing all my flows, but it fails when running directly, so I created the temp flow - screenshot of the entire flow in the temp flow, which only has 1 action:

AlexTheKidd_1-1675173809689.png

Why this works, I have no idea, but if it works, don't touch it 🙂

Hi again @freeeeea,

I just stumbled across this post: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Desktop/Launch-Excel-in-On-block-error-retry-fail...

where they state the issue is that the Excel process is terminated.

Maybe that could be your issue? I'm currently looking into if it fixes it on my end, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test it...

Thanks Alex.

Fortunately I am not killing the excel instances and then try to use the contents of the "excel object".

In the mean time, It looks like one of the following actions actually did the trick.

1 - Repair Office

2 - Uninstall / Reinstall Power Automate Desktop

3 - Clear the Power Automate Desktop Cache
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/desktop-flows/troubleshoot#resolve-sign-in-and-sign...

4 - Clear all Credentials stored in Windows Credentials
https://pureinfotech.com/credential-manager-windows-10/

5 - Restart the computer

I was able to use the same flows from a different machine, so it seemed to me that a mismatch with the credentials of Power Automate, OneDrive is the probable culprit.

Still, quite unhappy about the amount of digging needed in order to try to find out.

Hi @freeeeea,

Interesting - PAD cache? Had no idea that even existed! It's great to hear that it's working for you.

I just removed the "terminate Excel" I had in the flow, and it now works for me! 

Totally agree on the amount of times I've tried to fix this issue, especially when it started randomly. 

I'll make sure to test your links if I ever experience it again!

But now that we're both back to figuring out other issues/workarounds, I wish you great travels in your continuous journey ahead - until next time 🙂

Hi,

I know that I am late to the party, however what fixed it for me was making the instance visible when launching Excel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

This is caused by OneDrive still accessing the Excel file, which then deems the file to be 'open'.

This causes the error 'Active workbook retrieval error'.

SOLUTION

- Terminate OneDrive

- Launch OneDrive

- Launch Excel

This may look something like this 

1 - Terminate Process 'OneDrive'

2 - Run Application - C:\Program Files\Microsoft OneDrive\OneDrive.exe

- This may not be your OneDrive location

3 - Launch Excel

Nock
Frequent Visitor

I had the same issue and solved it firstly by opening the Excel file, which was greyed out. Then, under the 'View' tab in Excel, I have unhidden the file (I don't know why this file was hidden??) and saved the file afterwards.

Then, just have run the flow and it worked as expected.

Max339

If you're using the terminate excel action before the launch excel then it will fail sometimes, To fix this enable the Nest under the new excel process while configuring the launch excel option and also enable the macros and add-ions if required.

Jagster
Frequent Visitor

I started having errors with opening a particular Excel file on a PAD flow that had been working fine. It would fail to open the Excel about half the time. After troubleshooting and trying an Office365 repair, I dug into what recent changes were made to that particular spreadsheet since the problem was not happening with any others. I figured out that the culprit, in my case, was an option in a recently created pivot table. In the options, under Data, there was a setting 'Refresh data when opening the file' that was turned on and it seems to have been interfering with PAD opening the Excel file. Possibly a bug in PAD? Anyhow, after turning that option for the Pivot Table off, the spreadsheet opens up fine in PAD 100% of the time again.

PAD-PivotTable.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (895)