cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YBrown1
Frequent Visitor

Initial Shelter and Foster Claimer Lookup Columns not populating correctly during Excel Import

I have been fighting my tables for three days now and finally gotten the data types correct for them to import. But now, for my animal table, my Initial shelter column is importing the shelter location instead of the shelter ID and the foster claimer isn't importing anything at all. Help please, somebody, anybody! TIA.

9 REPLIES 9
yodalearns24
Regular Visitor

I think the first and most important thing to do is establish which table is your parent table and which are the child tables. This way, as you're creating relationships between them, it's already clearly established. In this case, the shelter is the parent table, and that's what connects the other two tables together.

Before starting to import, I used an alternative key to connect my shelters table. Here, the shelter ID would serve as your alternative key. When importing data into Dataverse, make sure you start with the parent table. Ensure that all relationships are correctly mapped when importing your shelters table to maintain data integrity.

Additionally, could you please let me know what your primary column is for each table?

A column called FosterFamilyName is the primary column for my foster table which I forgot I couldn't change after it's created. ShelterLocation is the primary column for the Shelter table. Was I making a mistake in removing those choices when trying to map my Excel csv files? I clicked on the relationships tab but was unsure of what to do on that screen and I didnt want to mess anything else up so I left them alone. 

Can you send a photo of your 3 tables displaying the columns and data types. 

You definitely need to map the lookup columns cause that is what connects the tables.
I think your Initial shelter column is importing the shelter location instead of the shelter ID because your primary column for the Shelters (parent table) is Shelter Location not Shelter ID. 

Is your data type for the Local Shelter (FosterFamily) a look up?

YBrown1_0-1721261308223.pngYBrown1_1-1721261373106.png

YBrown1_2-1721261464809.png

YBrown1_3-1721261501369.pngYBrown1_4-1721261536893.png

YBrown1
Frequent Visitor

YBrown1_5-1721261605291.png

yodalearns24
Regular Visitor

What data have you been able to import? The ShelterID was it a single line of text when you were first uploading the data? Since the Animal data has look up fields in both the shelter and foster family table it has to be the last one to be imported. I am no expert so I may not be 100% correct/ and there are many ways to do the same thing but hope this is helping. 

This is a great video from Super User of the Month | Ahmed Salih that helped me understand how to best import excel data into dataverse https://youtu.be/07uStu1o0eQ?si=fx5PPXCHN32pT1jk

I was able to import the shelter table and foster family table. My animal table is where I'm stuck. It imports everything except the two lookup fields and the photo but I assume the photo is because its an image data type that I'll have to do manually. But my Foster Claimer column wont populate anything at all and the initial shelter column imports the shelter location (address) instead of the shelter ID. I was able to import all of them before (AI) but I noticed all the data types weren't available when trying to change them.

Your animal table lookup fields will be populated based on the primary name columns of those (shelter and foster) tables just as @yodalearns24 mentioned. 

Also you do not need to upload the pictures manually if you already created a Photo Url column in your Animals table. Just ensure that the data type is of url format.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Important Update | Power Up Community READ ONLY July 22 – July 28

Dear Community Members, As you may have read, the Power Platform communities are transitioning to a new platform and to access will be set to READ-ONLY mode during the transition. Key DatesTo ensure current learners have adequate support in the final week of the cohort, the Power Up Program Community will transition to READ-ONLY mode starting July 22nd, the platform will transition to READ-ONLY mode until July 28th. Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power Pages communities will be read-only July 16-22, 2024.During this period, members will not be able to start new threads or Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts, but will be able to search and review past threads or solutions. On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities. Learners will be able to sign in to the new Power Up Program community experience, starting July 29th. If you registered for community using your learnwithpowerup account, you will not receive an email, but should be able to sign in successfully if you are signed in to My hub.  If you need help with your community account, please submit a request at aka.ms/PPCommSupport We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead! 

Learn what to expect in the Power Up Program

Since its inception in 2022, the Power Up Program has evolved based on feedback from learners and Microsoft Partners and customers. Today's Power Up learners can expect to learn the fundamentals of Microsoft Power Platform in the accelerated seven-week, video-based Power Up Maker course.   Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi to discover the latest enhancements and meet the Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps, who partnered with the Microsoft Power Up Program to create the Power Up Maker course to guide learners to use the Microsoft Power Platform to develop custom applications, build dazzling report dashboards, or create efficiencies through automation.  

Welcome to the Power Up Program Community

The Power Up Program is a free upskilling program where nontechnical people can learn the fundamentals of Microsoft Power Platform. The Power Up Maker course is a seven-week self-paced virtual learning plan that include video-based objectives featuring Power Apps, Power BI and Power Automate.  As a member of the Power Up Community, you can grow your skills and build connections. You can post questions to get help with the curriculum and hands-on exercises from experts and peers in the product boards.  Check out the Community Information & Feedback board to find help or provide feedback with the community experience, and please take time to post in the Social board to tell us more about yourself. If you're new to the Power Up Program and looking for information to register. You can sign up at PowerUp.Microsoft.com.

Users online (1,129)