cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CRMSample
Frequent Visitor

MS Flow Trigger for onPremise SQl Server

Hi All,

Can we trigger MS flow on Insert/Update row in Onpremise SQL Server. I have read on some older blogs that trigger doesn't work for onPremise sql server but on latest Flow documentation it not mentioned anywhere .[https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/connectors/sql/#known-issues-and-limitations]

Actually i installed SQL Server on my local system and configured gateway. I can trigger MS flow on Insert/Update row for onpremise Sql server. Now Client  has shared a Sql Server connecction, i configured MS flow to trigger for this connection but its not triggering at all. After going through all the blogs i got confused whether trigger suppose to work or not for Onpremise sql server. Any help would be appriciated.  

12 REPLIES 12
CRMSample
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

Can anyone please resond to the question. Is it possible to trigger MS flow for On premise SQL Server ? 

v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CRMSample,

We could trigger MS flow on Insert/Update row SQL Server if you use Local Onpremise data gateway。

And as we can see in the link you have provided, SQL native query is not supported for on-premises SQL server.

You could make a test on your side.

Best regards,

Alice

Thanks for the reply @v-yuazh-msft.

Actually before posting this qus, i tested it at my end using onpremise data gateway and it worked fine for me. But the issue i am facing is, third party vendors are managing onpremise database. They have configured the onpremise gateway and shared the connection with service account, using that service account i have configured the MS flow to trigger on insert/update of sql table. Now when we do a insert in sql table, MS flow doesn't trigger. Its not showing any failed or Error in run history. 

but I can see many "Skipped entry" in Checks(no new data) in run history section. Can you please help me on this issue.

After going through some blogs i was wondering whether trigger suppose to work or not for onpremise sql server.[https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-triggers-in-the-sql-connector/]

Since you have confirmed it, can you please advice me on some troubleshooting steps. Just to mention i am new to MS flow and trying to get all the helps to solve this issue. Many thanks !

It is my understanding that it is not currently possible to trigger flow from an on-premise SQL server. The documentation you refer to in your last link describes functionality which is available to an SQL Azure database.

It is something I'm absolutely waiting for, as I have clients who use on-premise SQL databases (often multiple) and this would allow me to do even more with Flow 

Hi A8Tony,

Actually Flow will trigger for On premise server as well but only for the latest version of sql server. I have tested it with the SQL version 2017. For earlier version it wont work (not sure about 2016)

Thanks for this CRM Sample, I'll give this a go next week 👍

Hi CRMSample,

I've tried a quick test this morning but have not successfully triggered a flow from a record being created.

Can you confirm that this is possible using the On Premise Data Gateway? And if so, did you have to make any specific settings on the SQL database configuration to allow this?

Thanks,

Tony

I would also love to know if it's already working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have on prem triggers working here with SQL 2008, but it only works for add not modify, and only with a table that has an identity.

@Anonymous is correct. I can also confirm that Flow connecting to SQL OnPrem through data gateway works for the create or add record to a table.  Updates to a record does not work (as of June 2019) through the data gateway to SQL OnPrem.  

Example: If status = "Under Review" for a record and a flow is set to send an email when the status = "Under Review". 

Could a person use the flow to "ping" the database every 15 minutes and look for a change in a field within a record in a table?  Or would that send an email every 15 minutes that the field currently has a specific value being looked for?  

We work with a SQL on premises and I can also confirm we are able to trigger flow on a "new record" for every table inside the SQL.

Super easy and we've a 2016 version installed. In fact we do have several flows working with this trigger.

Regarding triggering on "update", we were never able to achieve it !!! looking at recent documentation there is no indication about on premises limitation. They do mention, you just need to assure the table has:

"A Primary Key is required for the following operations:

• GetItem
  • UpdateItem
  • DeleteItem"

The tables we wish to use, we know the primary key, but flow doesn't identify a Primary key.

So.. 

Couple of different ways to trigger a flow from an on-premise CRM installation.

1. Create a background workflow that runs on the trigger event. e.g. Run on create of contact. In the flow, select the SQL trigger called "When and item is created V2" and select the AsyncOperationBase table as the triggering table. This table creates a record everytime a background workflow runs. Once you have this set, click on the ellipsis on the block and put in your triggering conditions like this:

@equals(triggerBody()?['Name'],'Name of Workflow')

@equals(triggerBody()?['MessageName'],'ExecuteWorkflow')

2. Create a flow that uses "When an HTTP Request is Received" trigger. Then download ZooY's Dynamics 365 Tools. Create a workflow on the triggering event and put the PostJSON workflow activity from his tools. Put in the address generated from the flow in the Service URL and the JSON body you want to send to the flow, e.g. { "mobilephone": "555-555-5555", "RecordUrl":"https://crm.contoso.com" }.

If you want to sent the record id this way, you can add the recordUrl with the body or use Damien Rasko's Workflow Tools to get the record id before making the flow call.

Tools:

https://github.com/ZooY/Dynamics365.Tools

https://github.com/demianrasko/Dynamics-365-Workflow-Tools

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (1,165)