cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rosesanderson
Frequent Visitor

Update sharepoint list columns when item is selected in the vlookup column of another list

Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

I have a sharepoint site with two lists to create a feedback database for people to search. One list (list A) contains products with all of their details e.g. material reference, name, consumer group, season

The second list (list B) contains the feedback we have received from product testers in the format of a video database, tagged with any issues mentioned with products e.g. button broke

In list A, there is a vlookup column so that any videos which are added to list B relating to the product in list A can be linked to it e.g when a video is added to list B (Video X), in the vlookup column in list A, Video X can be selected so anyone viewing it knows that Video X relates to that specific product.

My issue is that when I use this vlookup to select the video in list A, I would like the columns in list B to automatically update with the same tags which the product has in list A, e.g the video also gets a tag for the material reference and the product code, so people can filter the video database to find all videos which are relevant to one specific product.

I've started an automate flow which detects when an item has been updated and determines whether the vlookup column has changed, but when I try to get the name details of the change in the vlookup column so I can then select this item in the video database, it is not giving me this option. Does anyone know how to workaround this or if there is a much easier way to do it?

I've attached screenshots of the automate flow so far, in the box where it is asking for the ID, I need to be able to enter the vlookup value from list A.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

So here is a basic example of how it should work. The thing with lookup columns is there will be two options for outputs in Power Automate. It will have to Lookup Id and the Lookup Value. The Lookup Id will be the sharepoint item Id. 

Here I made an example SharePoint list called "Submitted Invoices" and added a lookup column titled "ArchiveLookup" which will lookup the title of invoices that are in a separate ArchiveInvoices SP List.

wskinnermctc_0-1696860569620.png

wskinnermctc_1-1696861098130.png

Here is the example flow.

• When an item or file is modified - List A
  • Get changes for an item or file (properties only)
  • Condition - this will check the lookup column and check Has Changed - if true
  • Update Item - use the Lookup Id as the item id to update the List B item.

This uses the Lookup Id from the List-A to update the item in List-BThis uses the Lookup Id from the List-A to update the item in List-B

Let me know if this works for you,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Can you show some pictures of the 2 lists and the vlookups?

And help me understand the final issue a little better by explaining more about what is getting changed and what is getting updated? 

I don't follow which item needs to be updated.

I don't know which item triggers the flow.

I don't know what item/value in the trigger is supposed to be used as a condition.

If you have Item1 in ListA which has a lookup column to ListB. When you modify the ListA-Item1, why would the lookup column to ListB change?

Are you talking about the additional columns you can add with a lookup column?

Rosesanderson
Frequent Visitor

Apologies for the lack of information,

This is what a product in list A looks like (above this list is called SS25 Testing Styles), with the VLOOKUP column looking at the titles of the videos saved in list B:

Rosesanderson_0-1696838881664.png

And this is the corresponding video in list B (video feedback database) which has been referenced above:

Rosesanderson_1-1696838999861.png

In this case, when I select this video using the Lookup column in list A, I'd like it to copy the season and country of origin details into the corresponding columns in list B.

So the trigger pattern is:
In the product list: when column - video feedback - is updated, get changes from the updated item (hopefully getting the name of the video), get details of the updated item (getting the season and  country of origin details) 

In the video database list: look for the video name and update the corresponding season and country of origin columns with the details of the product

In the above example, the lists are named slightly differently as I couldn't share screenshots of the original lists due to sensitive information

Can you tell me what kind of List the Videos Database is? Is it a normal list that you are storing videos as attachments in a column titled Thumbnail?

Can you tell me the column type you are using as the lookup column "Feedback Videos" in List A? Is that the title column or the thumbnail? 

Rosesanderson
Frequent Visitor

The column for the lookup is the 'title' column.

I've just realised that the other column not having the videos stored in it may be my issue. It's a list which Sharepoint has created when I've viewed videos in stream and added them to the playlist, so the video files are all saved in different places, but the list brings them together in one playlist. 

So here is a basic example of how it should work. The thing with lookup columns is there will be two options for outputs in Power Automate. It will have to Lookup Id and the Lookup Value. The Lookup Id will be the sharepoint item Id. 

Here I made an example SharePoint list called "Submitted Invoices" and added a lookup column titled "ArchiveLookup" which will lookup the title of invoices that are in a separate ArchiveInvoices SP List.

wskinnermctc_0-1696860569620.png

wskinnermctc_1-1696861098130.png

Here is the example flow.

• When an item or file is modified - List A
  • Get changes for an item or file (properties only)
  • Condition - this will check the lookup column and check Has Changed - if true
  • Update Item - use the Lookup Id as the item id to update the List B item.

This uses the Lookup Id from the List-A to update the item in List-BThis uses the Lookup Id from the List-A to update the item in List-B

Let me know if this works for you,

That worked perfectly, thank you so much! This has been causing me a headache for weeks now 😅

Hi @wskinnermctc,

The lookup column in sharepoint list is using formula in sharepoint list which vlookup B in A? This is how it works? I have the same problem that I have two sharepoint lists, and I try to vlookup the data in B and update it in A.

In sharepoint list B I have PMP code and price, and PMP code should be used to match

ShineTan123_0-1703673577965.png

In sharepoint A, PI material number should be used to matched with PMP code in sharepoint B, when it matches, I want sharepoint B price to be updated in sharepoint A. How this is going to work?

ShineTan123_1-1703673598027.png

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages