cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flow failing due to 'Null' value

I have a flow setup to create a Trello card upon creation of a Sharepoint list item. One of the items I'm putting into the card's description is a date and time value from the Sharepoint list item. I am using a utcnow() function inside a compose step before the card creation step so I can inser the time and date value as a formatted string. See below:

if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],null),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))

This works fine if someone enters a value for the date when submitting a new Sharepoint list item. However, if they don't the flow will fail with the following error:

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Due_Date' inputs at line '1' and column '2112': 'The template language function 'utcNow' expects its parameter to be of type string. The provided value is of type 'Null'.

So, I've tried adding an if() statement to deal with possible null values but can't seem to get it working. I've tried the following unsuccessfully (all provide the exact same error if no value is entered in the 'Due_Date' field when the new items is submitted):

if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],null),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],Null),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],'Null'),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(empty(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(empty(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],'text',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))

if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],Null),'text',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Perhaps you can add an condition to check if the dynamic content is null or not. Try with the condition like this:

@empty(triggerBody()?['']).

For your reference:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Knowledge-Base/How-to-check-if-a-field-is-blank/ta-p/31843

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As long as the date and time data is null, the formula won't work and will return error. This will not so far in Compose. 

Regards,

Mona

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, is there a way around this? Perhaps a condition step?

Hi @Anonymous,

Perhaps you can add an condition to check if the dynamic content is null or not. Try with the condition like this:

@empty(triggerBody()?['']).

For your reference:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Knowledge-Base/How-to-check-if-a-field-is-blank/ta-p/31843

Regards,

Mona

Hi,

a colleague and I were having a similar issue and were getting very frustrated. In the end we used a pretty long winded combination of expressions, but felt that it was better than using a lot of condition blocks as we needed to use this format date on three date fields!

if(equals(coalesce(triggerBody()?['DateFormat'],'NULL'),'NULL'),'',formatdatetime(coalesce(triggerBody()?['DateFormat'],'01/01/1901'),'dd/MM/yyyy'))

where DateFormat is the field name required.

The expression evaulates if the field date is null and if true returns blank, otherwise if false, the date field is formatted as required.

The 01/01/1901 just satisfies the formatdatetime functions requirement for a non blank string, but as the field should not be blank by this point, it won't be used in the end result.

Give it a go, hope it helps! Thanks to Rafael Garcia for preventing further hair loss.

gunjan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hopefully this is the problem with the Flow [Compose], it handles it easily using condition. i tried it using condition only.
used a bool function to check if the text [data of type DATETIME] is not empty, its empty do nothing otherwise use FormatDateTime Function...

issue date.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the exact same problem!

Very frustrating indeed, because it questions everything you know about scripting/programming, by which I mean: it appears that the expression gets completely evaluated although one condition is false and one is true: both get calculated, why?!

This seems to me like a bug in the expression evaluator?

Can some of the devs confirm if this behaviour is intended or a bug?

I have reported for the bug but still not getting any response from Microsoft Support ...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/I-Found-A-Bug/Not-able-to-save-null-value-into-date-field-CRM-DY...

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are not alone: https://blog.kloud.com.au/2017/10/17/azure-logic-app-evaluating-if-condition-with-the-help-of-json-e...

Some of us come from years of development experience, and at times we like to skill up ourselves to various other technologies, which leaves us with a mindset based on our past development experience and programming habits, which we gained over the years. When clients requirements are approached based on these backgrounds, we expect the code to work with the certain flow and these are where rules are broken while using IF condition in Azure Logic Apps.

StevenWade
Advocate III
Advocate III

Piling on here, but this turns every data transformation or error handling task into an agonizing hack. It at least doubles the number of Compose actions you need to write to handle a potential null value or retype an attribute.

While it probably makes sense to push complex transformations out of Flow (writing an Azure Function app or wrapping a Logic app around a Liquid transformation), this is still annoying as heck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have marked this issue as solved, since @v-monli-msft did technically provide a solution to my problem, despite it not being what we all consider "standard" practice. However, it does seem that this is how all microsoft apps work when evaluating if() statements. I waited to see if we could find a better way but it seems we're NULL for now. It's not ideal but it gets the job done. Thanks for all your input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you reply, as this is currently the best way to handle this situation. However, as many people have mentioned it's not ideal to us. But it seems that is how Microsoft apps operations intentionally. Do you see any chance this behavior will be changed in the future?

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion.

@empty(triggerBody()?['']) Expression has resolved problem to checck Null or String Value in MS Flow.

Regards,

Jigar

this one is the best answer.  Quick fix, thanks.

To me, the solution presented by @andrew_blubase is better at getting to the point without creating so many different flow actions.  In my case, this is 5 less flow actions I had to create just to get around this bug.

Thank you @andrew_blubase.

@v-monli-msft , the @empty formula worked great with the old condition control where we could go into advanced mode, but with the new one that does not allow typing in a formula, how do we accomplish the same?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-monli-msft  may i ask in case you know, why i cannot access  (i am getting an access denied)

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Knowledge-Base/How-to-check-if-a-field-is-blank/t... ?

Thanks in advance

Thank you @andrew_blubase! This is what I was looking for 🙂

I applied your formula and it worked like a charm!

Thanks Andrew, It works, Fantastic...

Awesome! Thank you Andrew - evergreen solution

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!    This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Community MembersNumber SolutionsSuper UsersNumber Solutions Deenuji 9 @NathanAlvares24  17 @Anil_g  7 @ManishSolanki  13 @eetuRobo  5 @David_MA  10 @VishnuReddy1997  5 @SpongYe  9JhonatanOB19932 (tie) @Nived_Nambiar  8 @maltie  2 (tie)   @PA-Noob  2 (tie)   @LukeMcG  2 (tie)   @tgut03  2 (tie)       Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 2: Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate  @Deenuji  12@ManishSolanki 19 @Anil_g  10 @NathanAlvares24  17 @VishnuReddy1997  6 @Expiscornovus  10 @Tjan  5 @Nived_Nambiar  10 @eetuRobo  3 @SudeepGhatakNZ 8     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji32ManishSolanki55VishnuReddy199724NathanAlvares2444Anil_g22SudeepGhatakNZ40eetuRobo18Nived_Nambiar28Tjan8David_MA22   Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Automate Deenuji11FLMike31Sayan11ManishSolanki16VishnuReddy199710creativeopinion14Akshansh-Sharma3SudeepGhatakNZ7claudiovc2CFernandes5 misc2Nived_Nambiar5 Usernametwice232rzaneti5 eetuRobo2   Anil_g2   SharonS2  

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (874)