cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jogar10
Frequent Visitor

Creating a Unique ID in a Collection

Hello,

So I am currently building an app that has both online and offline capabilities. With the online functionality, I have a form connected to a SharePoint list which is technically my master list for all the raw data I am trying to collect through the app. With the form, I am essentially trying to track the start and finish of what I call an operation (a task of a specific process). For the OnSelect of the start and stop buttons, I set a variable to patch into my SharePoint list and I basically input the data I wanted into the respective fields as well as the exact time I hit the start button. Now when I hit the finish button I set that same variable to patch into my SharePoint list and then use the LookUp function to find the same ID I set it at that way it can update the stop time for that same row of data in my sharepoint list. Now with offline functionality, I already have it to where it can insert data into a collection, but is there a way to where when I hit the stop button, it also goes to find that row in the collection and insert the stop time? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

@jogar10 

Since you are offline with the internal records, you will not have a primary key (the ID in this case) to reference.  AND, you will want to make sure you leave the ID blank so that when you are online, the Patch function knows to create a record and not to update one.

What I do often for this capability is to simply establish another column in the collection and when the row is created in the collection, assign a GUID to that column.

Then, your LookUp to that collection would be based on the GUID and not the ID.

In other words, you are creating a separate primary key for your collection while still maintaining the actual primary key.

You can base your formulas on a Coalesce of the GUID key and the ID key in order to lookup and update.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

What you said makes sense. However, I am having trouble trying to implement it into my code. Could you possibly show an example of how to do that? 

@jogar10 

Which part of the process do you have question on?  The Formulas you have should center around the new ID and any writebacks should be based on the real ID column.

I am not familiar with your complete app design, so I am not sure where you are struggling.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

For the start button I have more fields than what are shown but this is the basic format of what I have:

If(Connection.Connected,Set(varnewItem,Patch('Sharepoint List',Defaults('Sharepoint List'),{Start Time: Now()})), Collect(colOfflineList,{Start_Time: Now()}));

For the end button, I have:

If(Connection.Connected,Set(varnewItem,Patch('Sharepoint List',Lookup('Sharepoint List',varnewItem.ID=ID),{Stop Time: Now()})),Collect(colOfflineList,{Stop_Time: Now()}));

Basically for both buttons I have it check if the app is connected to the internet. If the app is connected to the internet, it will upload the data directly to my sharepoint list by using the "Set" function to create a new variable to "Patch" into my list. I did add an ID column through the sharepoint list itself. If the app isn't connected to the internet then it will go to store it in a collection. Same thing for when I hit the stop button, it checks if there is internet, if so then it will upload the data directly to my sharepoint list and "Lookup" the variable that is set to the ID in sharepoint. If not, it will send the data to the collection. My main issue is that there is multiple things happening in the collection that when I hit stop, I don't want it to create a new row just for the stop time in my collection. If it could go back and find the original row tied to when it was started and input the stop data there, then that would be ideal. I just don't know how to fully work around that with a collection. Again, thank you for your time.

@jogar10 

No problem.  

So- you are ONLY working with one record in your app??  I had assumed you had a table of records to work with.

Is that the case?

If by records you mean multiple columns in the Sharepoint list/ collection, then I do. I just put the main column I would need to put information into when the stop button is pressed. I would like to find a way to look up for the specific ID in the collection but I don't know how to do that. If you meant by multiple collections/Sharepoint Lists, I have multiple of those as well. I just typed it in the way I did to simplify it. 

@jogar10 

Well it was that you showed a collection that would end up with one record in it with one column at start and an added column at end.

Not understanding the role on that.  How does that then go to your datasource?  That would be more relevant to the example you provided...how are you getting the data initially from the datasource and how are you writing it back?

I didn't show all the columns because the primary focus is the one with the start and stop time. Yes, there is other information that is pulled into it too. I have multiple different screens in the app that can pull different data that would be needed. For the app as a whole, with the OnStart, I have it set to where it will patch my collection into my Sharepoint List if it detects that it is online.  Lets say I have a customer order that I need to fill out. I have it to where it already populates that info to the worker using the app. The worker essentially needs to log their time for how long it takes them to complete that customer order. So, when they get that new customer order, they will fill a couple things and hit the start. Usually when they are online, they might run into other issues and will need to notify a supervisor pertaining to what it is. If that's the case I also have that to where it uploads onto my Sharepoint List, which is essentially the master list for all the data coming from the app. So if they start the customer order, then later decide they have an issue with it, it gets resolved, then they go to finish that customer order by hitting the stop button, then that is when the functionality of the buttons I showed earlier would be used to find the unique ID in the sharepoint list and log the finished time for that order. If they're offline, I need the stop time to go back for that same reason to keep the data consistent in one row and update to its respective column. I could just have it to where when I start the customer order, it will populate the columns in my collection and the start time. Then when I stop the customer order, it would create another row in the collection populating the same info but including the stop time instead of the start time. This isn't ideal because to my understanding, PowerApps has a limit to how much data you can store in a collection, and being able to put the finish time in the same row of the customer order would be more efficient.

@jogar10 

Yes, so the thing with a Collection is that it has no primary key to it.  Usually, if you pull in a datasource set of records, it will "kind of" have that as a key (it's at least something you can reference as unique).  However, in your case, you do not have the luxury of always having the actual unique primary key in your collection...so you need to augment it. 

As mentioned, the way to do that is to assign your own unique ID for the purpose of the App only.  It is not meant to ever go to the datasource.  When you load your collection with records, add a column that will have a GUID in it.

When you create any new record, add the GUID too.

When you work with the records in your collection, always reference/identify by the GUID.

When you go to write your data back, THEN work from the primary key (ID) and discard the GUID to write back.  

Hopefully that makes sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!   This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions in the Forums to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersNumber of SolutionsSuper UsersNumber of Solutions @anandm08  23 @WarrenBelz  31 @DBO_DV  10 @Amik  19 AmínAA 6 @mmbr1606  12 @rzuber  4 @happyume  7 @Giraldoj  3@ANB 6 (tie)   @SpongYe  6 (tie)     Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutions @anandm08  10@WarrenBelz 25 @DBO_DV  6@mmbr1606 14 @AmínAA 4 @Amik  12 @royg  3 @ANB  10 @AllanDeCastro  2 @SunilPashikanti  5 @Michaelfp  2 @FLMike  5 @eduardo_izzo  2   Meekou 2   @rzuber  2   @Velegandla  2     @PowerPlatform-P  2   @Micaiah  2     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps anandm0861WarrenBelz86DBO_DV25Amik66Michaelfp13mmbr160647Giraldoj13FLMike31AmínAA13SpongYe27     Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps DBO-DV21WarranBelz26Giraldoj7mmbr160618Muzammmil_0695067Amik14samfawzi_acml6FLMike12tzuber6ANB8   SunilPashikanti8

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (1,402)