cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoB-E
Helper II
Helper II

How to code last submit in a dropdown?

I'm new to power apps and just trying to code a drop down to return last submittedvalue on newform  not sure how to and help would be much appreciated. The app I'm working on will create 20 to 30 records a day with the same block number. So I need the dropdown value to defualt to last selected value  when submitted on new form 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@RoB-E 

Yes try like this.

Presuming a Form called Form1 and a button called Button1 and a data source called List01 (such as a SharePoint List, for example):

Form1 DefaultMode

FormMode.New

Form1 Item

If(!IsBlank(First(Coll_Last_Submit)),First(Coll_Last_Submit),Defaults(List01))
//Instead of List01 above, use the name of your SharePoint List or data source.

Form1 OnSuccess

Clear(Coll_Last_Submit);Collect(Coll_Last_Submit,Form1.LastSubmit);Patch(Coll_Last_Submit,First(Coll_Last_Submit),{ID:Blank()})

or

ClearCollect(Coll_Last_Submit,Form1.LastSubmit);Patch(Coll_Last_Submit,First(Coll_Last_Submit),{ID:Blank()})

Button1 OnSelect

SubmitForm(Form1);

This should work, and the New form after submit, will have all the previous values based on the last submitted record, but still be a new form mode. After the next submit, it should create a brand new record.

If the above does not work, properly i.e. for example, if for some reason it just keeps editing the same last submitted record over and over again, it could be because the part where Patch of Blank() value for ID, might not work and not actually remove the ID (thus editing the same last submitted record over and over again), unless a specific setting is turned on in the app called Formula-level error management . So if it does not work, try these steps as well below first:

1. Click on Settings

poweractivate_0-1663814617897.png

2. In the modal, click on Upcoming Features -> Preview ->  Formula-level error management - set this toggle, to "On"

poweractivate_1-1663814663230.png

3. Close this modal.

4. Save and Publish the app.

5. Close the whole Power Apps editor.

6. Go to make.powerapps.com, select the right environment, find your app for editing, and open it up for editing. If you just made this app recently and it's missing from the list for some reason, just try making a new blank app, and the one that is missing might now appear in the list.

7. Try the app now and see if it works.

This setting has been around for quite a long time, it is often turned on for this kind of scenario, the fact that it is labeled "Preview" may not be so much of a concern, I doubt the feature is going away in the future. While that is technically subject to change, I am not able to think of a better way to accomplish your scenario. First try and see if it works with the Formula-level error management setting off (the default). If it does, then great. If it does not (and I suspect that it might not), this setting Formula-level error management  may have to be set to On for this solution to work properly. Please note that after turning it on, it may be necessary to close and reopen the app for editing as stated in the above steps, if it is still not making a new record on each submit, so that the setting could fully take effect.

See if it helps @RoB-E 

View solution in original post

@RoB-E 

You can try to use Blank() for Default instead of "" to be more accurate - especially since you may already be using Blank() now in the Patch statement I gave to make the ID field blank in the new record after submit.

It may be required to have Formula-level error management turned on as I mentioned before, to use Blank() values (especially to patch out the ID to a Blank value).

If it is working better or more consistently for you with "", or if you just prefer it, then using "" for Default may be acceptable as well. I recommend to use Blank() but if you prefer it, you may use "" instead, but make sure to carefully test it, some cases may require Blank() to be there and not "" to signify a blank value for a field.

@RoB-E 

If the button is pressed again and again, it will create new records with the same values, this is by design of what you requested. They definitely should be different records though with a different unique ID if you check the SharePoint List.

If you want one or more fields to always be different, try using a function like Rand(). You could also try accessing the LastSubmit directly after the OnSuccess, getting the unique ID, and Patching it to another field - although I am unsure why that would be a good idea - the unique value is already there generated automatically, it may be better to simply edit the SharePoint List view, reveal the unique ID, and notice they really aren't "duplicates".

Whatever makes it look like a "duplicate", you could perhaps blank out more fields such as specific fields that should not be pre-filled for instance.

Change

ClearCollect(Coll_Last_Submit,Form1.LastSubmit);Patch(Coll_Last_Submit,First(Coll_Last_Submit),{ID:Blank()})

to

//pseudocode
ClearCollect(Coll_Last_Submit,Form1.LastSubmit);Patch(Coll_Last_Submit,First(Coll_Last_Submit),{ID:Blank(),SomeOtherFieldToBlankOut:Blank(),YetAnotherFieldToBlankOut:Blank()})
//change "SomeOtherFieldToBlankOut" and "YetAnotherFieldToBlankOut" to what makes sense for you for what you want to not use the last submitted value, but be blank instead, and have how many or how few of those you want.

You can test by using Rand() which should make it pretty obvious they're not duplicates, then try instead to do whatever makes more sense for the field(s) instead.

In case there may still be some issue, could you clarify what you mean by noticing that you have duplicates?

18 REPLIES 18
poweractivate
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional

@RoB-E 

Could you check if LastSubmit - docs.microsoft.com could achieve your goals?

LastSubmit – The last successfully submitted record, including any server generated fields.

• This property applies only to the Edit form control.
  • If the data source automatically generates or calculates any fields, such as an ID field with a unique number, the LastSubmit property will have this new value after SubmitForm successfully runs.
  • The value of this property is available in the OnSuccess formula.

SudeepGhatakNZ
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

In your Save or Submit button, add this code.

ClearCollect(ColLastItem, Submitform(FormName));

Like @poweractivate mentioned, you can also try Formname.LastSubmit

If my suggestion helped you, please give it a Thumbs up and Mark it as a Solution so that it can benefit others in the community.
Sudeep Ghatak
Microsoft MVP, Business Applications
www.sudeepghatak.com

Ok so my save button  onselect has this code: SubmitForm(EditForm1)ResetForm(EditForm1)NewForm(EditForm1) do I add it to the end or beginning of this ?

SudeepGhatakNZ
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

ClearCollect(ColLastItem, Submitform(EditForm1));ResetForm(EditForm1);NewForm(EditForm1)

If my suggestion helped you, please give it a Thumbs up and Mark it as a Solution so that it can benefit others in the community.
Sudeep Ghatak
www.sudeepghatak.com

So if my last submission dropdown was say 205 it would still be 205 on the newform after submit? 

SudeepGhatakNZ
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

Your Newform won't have an ID until the form is submitted back again.

SubmitForm will only return the ID of the record that it just submitted

Sudeep Ghatak
www.sudeepghatak.com

Ok so I'm a bit confused? I need the newform to show the submitted forms value in the drop down. So if I submit a value of 203 I need the newform to show that last submitted value 

I tried the formula  and it had no errors but it did not return the dropdown to my last selected value. Is there away to make that happen?

SudeepGhatakNZ
Multi Super User
Multi Super User

What value did it return in ColLastItem? Are you able to check that by adding a label and setting its text property to ColLastItem? Just so that we are clear, ColLastItem will return you ID of the new record created in SharePoint List.

In case I am not following you, a screenshot might help

Sudeep Ghatak
www.sudeepghatak.com

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community will be READ ONLY July 16th, 5p PDT -July 22nd

Dear Community Members,   We'd like to let you know of an upcoming change to the community platform: starting July 16th, the platform will transition to a READ ONLY mode until July 22nd.   During this period, members will not be able to Kudo, Comment, or Reply to any posts.   On July 22nd, please be on the lookout for a message sent to the email address registered on your community profile. This email is crucial as it will contain your unique code and link to register for the new platform encompassing all of the communities.   What to Expect in the New Community: A more unified experience where all products, including Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio, and Power Pages, will be accessible from one community.Community Blogs that you can syndicate and link to for automatic updates. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation during this transition. Stay tuned for the exciting new features and a seamless community experience ahead!

Summer of Solutions | Week 4 Results | Winners will be posted on July 24th

We are excited to announce the Summer of Solutions Challenge!   This challenge is kicking off on Monday, June 17th and will run for (4) weeks.  The challenge is open to all Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages) community members. We invite you to participate in a quest to provide solutions in the Forums to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities.    Entry Period: This Challenge will consist of four weekly Entry Periods as follows (each an “Entry Period”)   - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 17, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 23, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on June 24, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on June 30, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 1, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 7, 2024 - 12:00 a.m. PT on July 8, 2024 – 11:59 p.m. PT on July 14, 2024   Entries will be eligible for the Entry Period in which they are received and will not carryover to subsequent weekly entry periods.  You must enter into each weekly Entry Period separately.   How to Enter: We invite you to participate in a quest to provide "Accepted Solutions" to as many questions as you can. Answers can be provided in all the communities. Users must provide a solution which can be an “Accepted Solution” in the Forums in all of the communities and there are no limits to the number of “Accepted Solutions” that a member can provide for entries in this challenge, but each entry must be substantially unique and different.    Winner Selection and Prizes: At the end of each week, we will list the top ten (10) Community users which will consist of: 5 Community Members & 5 Super Users and they will advance to the final drawing. We will post each week in the News & Announcements the top 10 Solution providers.  At the end of the challenge, we will add all of the top 10 weekly names and enter them into a random drawing.  Then we will randomly select ten (10) winners (5 Community Members & 5 Super Users) from among all eligible entrants received across all weekly Entry Periods to receive the prize listed below. If a winner declines, we will draw again at random for the next winner.  A user will only be able to win once overall. If they are drawn multiple times, another user will be drawn at random.  Individuals will be contacted before the announcement with the opportunity to claim or deny the prize.  Once all of the winners have been notified, we will post in the News & Announcements of each community with the list of winners.   Each winner will receive one (1) Pass to the Power Platform Conference in Las Vegas, Sep. 18-20, 2024 ($1800 value). NOTE: Prize is for conference attendance only and any other costs such as airfare, lodging, transportation, and food are the sole responsibility of the winner. Tickets are not transferable to any other party or to next year’s event.   ** PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED RULES for this CHALLENGE**   Week 1 Results: Congratulations to the Week 1 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersNumber of SolutionsSuper UsersNumber of Solutions @anandm08  23 @WarrenBelz  31 @DBO_DV  10 @Amik  19 AmínAA 6 @mmbr1606  12 @rzuber  4 @happyume  7 @Giraldoj  3@ANB 6 (tie)   @SpongYe  6 (tie)     Week 2 Results: Congratulations to the Week 2 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge. Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutions @anandm08  10@WarrenBelz 25 @DBO_DV  6@mmbr1606 14 @AmínAA 4 @Amik  12 @royg  3 @ANB  10 @AllanDeCastro  2 @SunilPashikanti  5 @Michaelfp  2 @FLMike  5 @eduardo_izzo  2   Meekou 2   @rzuber  2   @Velegandla  2     @PowerPlatform-P  2   @Micaiah  2     Week 3 Results: Congratulations to the Week 3 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 3:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps anandm0861WarrenBelz86DBO_DV25Amik66Michaelfp13mmbr160647Giraldoj13FLMike31AmínAA13SpongYe27     Week 4 Results: Congratulations to the Week 4 qualifiers, you are being entered in the random drawing that will take place at the end of the challenge.   Week 4:Community MembersSolutionsSuper UsersSolutionsPower Apps DBO-DV21WarranBelz26Giraldoj7mmbr160618Muzammmil_0695067Amik14samfawzi_acml6FLMike12tzuber6ANB8   SunilPashikanti8

Check Out | 2024 Release Wave 2 Plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform

On July 16, 2024, we published the 2024 release wave 2 plans for Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft Power Platform. These plans are a compilation of the new capabilities planned to be released between October 2024 to March 2025. This release introduces a wealth of new features designed to enhance customer understanding and improve overall user experience, showcasing our dedication to driving digital transformation for our customers and partners.    The upcoming wave is centered around utilizing advanced AI and Microsoft Copilot technologies to enhance user productivity and streamline operations across diverse business applications. These enhancements include intelligent automation, AI-powered insights, and immersive user experiences that are designed to break down barriers between data, insights, and individuals. Watch a summary of the release highlights.    Discover the latest features that empower organizations to operate more efficiently and adaptively. From AI-driven sales insights and customer service enhancements to predictive analytics in supply chain management and autonomous financial processes, the new capabilities enable businesses to proactively address challenges and capitalize on opportunities.    

Updates to Transitions in the Power Platform Communities

We're embarking on a journey to enhance your experience by transitioning to a new community platform. Our team has been diligently working to create a fresh community site, leveraging the very Dynamics 365 and Power Platform tools our community advocates for.  We started this journey with transitioning Copilot Studio forums and blogs in June. The move marks the beginning of a new chapter, and we're eager for you to be a part of it. The rest of the Power Platform product sites will be moving over this summer.   Stay tuned for more updates as we get closer to the launch. We can't wait to welcome you to our new community space, designed with you in mind. Let's connect, learn, and grow together.   Here's to new beginnings and endless possibilities!   If you have any questions, observations or concerns throughout this process please go to https://aka.ms/PPCommSupport.   To stay up to date on the latest details of this migration and other important Community updates subscribe to our News and Announcements forums: Copilot Studio, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages

Users online (645)